Skip to main content

Meet The Mother

Today I am counting my blessings again (it helps keep me sane right now). I am thanking God for my Mama today. (She is Julie's Mother too...I just wish not to share her in this post!)I am not going to get all mushy with this post (I could, but I won’t). I just want to introduce you to the great lady I call “Mama”.

I was three weeks late and determined not to come out when I was forced to arrive here on earth in 1978. I think Mama knew then that I was going to be high maintenance. I was nothing like my older sister and Mama had to learn how to manage two girls that were total opposites.

I hated school. Mama had to walk me to school for a while because I would not get out of the car at the crosswalk. So, we walked instead. She would walk me the back way to the playground where I was forced to cross a small ditch into the playground. She made me cross the ditch alone and I was not allowed to re-cross it once I got over it. I would usually cry like a fat child as I watched her on the other side of the ditch, but it worked and I learned to go to school like a big girl. (I was in the 5th grade!)

Hair drama. If you know me real well, you know my hair and the many struggles we had with it while I was growing up. I have my Daddy’s hair – thick and curly. My Mama and my sister have straight, thin hair. Many tears were shed in our bathroom over the years and many car rides home from the beauty shop were covered in tears. Mama never gave up on my hair. She bought me great bows to stick in my mess of hair and always told me I looked pretty. I think she lied to me, but it worked! I can’t imagine the agony she must have gone through trying to make my hair straight and thin and Julie’s thick and curly. She deserves an award just for just being in the bathroom with us each morning as we cried over our hair.

“Walk this way”. Mama would say those words and then walk all crazy down the hall to my room to get me to go to bed when I was little. I loved it. She always scratched my back before bed too. I love to go home for a few days or have her come to my house because she scratches my back before bed. Whenever anyone touches my back, I think of my Mama. I love that. I hope to “walk this way” with my kids someday. It is such a vivid memory of mine, I just love it!

“God doesn’t make junk”. “God is not the author of confusion”. Those are both phrases I can hear my Mama say as though she is standing right next to me. I love that she shoots things to me straight. No beating around the bush with my sweet little Mama! She is a hard worker, Steadfast in her faith, devoted to those she loves, strong in her convictions and my earthly “rock”. Her wise words and affection keep me level when I seem to be going out of balance. I could talk about her all day, but I will refrain from getting mushy. I am just so glad she is my Mama!

Abby

Comments

Anonymous said…
I am glad she is your mama, too. and I am glad she is my daughter. What a Woman!!!
lovey, mamaw

Popular posts from this blog

A Blind Date & Leaving Comments

8 years ago today I met this sweet man in the picture above. We met on a blind date in the Bluff City (aka- Memfrica). He and I were simply going out to shut up his stepmother and my sister, who had decided that we were meant to be together from one simple fridge photo and a dog named Abby. Little did we know they would be able to pat themselves on the back for the rest of their lives . I am so glad we both agreed to go out for that one date on New Years Eve 2001 because I have had him in my life everyday since that crazy night at my cousin Hollye's back door when he arrived to pick me up to find a baby on my hip that he thought was mine. I remember those beautiful blue eyes and how they about popped out of his head as he stood at the door wondering why no one had mentioned my child. That baby on my hip was Claire. She was 1 then and had just gone number 2 in her diaper right before he rang the bell. She had Styrofoam all over her and me from playing in Christmas boxes. Needless t

All Aboard The Birthday Polar Express

  Can you believe Henry Patton will be 4 years old tomorrow?! Neither can we. We celebrated his birthday last weekend with his first all boy party, polar express style. I had so much fun preparing for it, as you can probably tell! My mother who is never at a loss for words said it looked like Polar Express threw up in my house. She was SO right and we loved it! We had a breakfast pajama party with 7 three and four year old boys. It was such a fun time.   I had his pajamas monogrammed with a train and his name. He loved them and I liked how they sort of looked like the ones on the movie. Henry loved all the bells I had everywhere. There is no doubt we believe at this house. We had the jingle loud and proud!   I had his invitation made from a shop on Etsy and I was very pleased with them. One of his little friends came to the door ready for me to punch his ticket. It was so cute. I ran to get a hole punch and punched it for him. Every good party has to have go

Pedicure Pledge

Just a friendly reminder, it's that time of the year again. Please raise your big toes and repeat after me: As a member of the Sandal Sisterhood, I pledge to follow The Rules when I wear sandals and other open-toe shoes: I promise to always wear sandals that fit. My toes will not hang over and touch the ground, nor will my heels spill over the backs. And the sides and tops of my feet will not pudge out between the straps. I will go polish-free or vow to keep the polish fresh, intact and chip-free. I will not cheat and just touch up my big toe. I will sand down any mounds of skin before they turn hard and yellow. I will shave the hairs off my big toe. I won't wear pantyhose even if my misinformed girlfriend, coworker, mother, sister tells me the toe seam really will stay under my toes if I tuck it there. If a strap breaks, I won't duct-tape, pin, glue or tuck it back in to place hoping it will stay put. I will get my shoe fixed or toss it. No matter how much it hurts. I will