Skip to main content

A Blessed Life

Here is one last blessing for the week. It is a little deeper than the three previous ones I have posted. I am blessed to have the life I have. I know, it sounds silly and a little crazy coming from the girl who has been a basket case these past few weeks, but yesterday I realized that I am truly blessed to have this life.

Yesterday I sat in my car and rationalized with myself: I need to sell my house, buy a new one and find a job. I can choose to get overwhelmed or I can place it in the palm of my Provider's hands and let Him handle it. I am now choosing to hand it off to Him each morning, it works better that way!

So, now you ask why I all the sudden feel so blessed to have all this pressure? Let me tell you.

Last night I was working late at school. Mrs. Carolyn and I were walking to the parking lot when we noticed a middle school student sitting on a bench. (It was 7:30pm, school gets out at 2:45ish) We found out that he stays this late most everyday waiting on his ride. This young man is From Sudan. His mother fled their homeland with her children a few years back and they live in Memphis now. She works two jobs and he and his siblings receive scholarships to attend the school. He has to wait on his oldest sister to pick him up and that time varies each day. We had some grapes left over from an event and he ate them up in a flash. It broke my heart to see him waiting there and to see how hungry he was. Yet, this life he lives now is much better than what he came from.

I called my Mama on the way home last night. I told her about the boy at school and we discussed how we often think we have it so bad, but really we have such a blessed life. She then told me about a man who works for my Uncle Mike. This man had been living in a tent under the bridge in F.S. The storms blew his tent away last week. The company found him an apt. near the plant and paid one month of rent for him. Mama was getting a new couch in a few days, so she had Uncle Mike take the man her couch. (It is neat to see the circle that couch has made:) We recycle furniture in our family like crazy don't we guys?!). This man can now walk to work instead of paying for public transit and that old couch is a soft bed for him to lay his head.

Wow! I went to bed last night thankful and humbled. My stressors are not bad things nor tragic things..they are just life! It is a blessed life...a very privileged life.

I am blessed and so are you!
Abby

Comments

Emily said…
I agree Abby! Everytime I think I have it rough God always finds a way to gently remind me that I am blessed!
Anonymous said…
I feel blessed each day knowing that I have someone like you in my life. We are all overwhelmed at times but THE MAN always seems to show up when we feel we can't take anymore. I think about daily and pray for peace of mind for you. I know in my heart there are great things in store for you and Randall. Just keep the faith.
Love you lots
Diana
Anonymous said…
I checked out the 'facts' before sending. Buy a statue of St Joseph.
The statue is buried upside down in the front yard with the feet pointing to heaven. It may face towards the home (or towards the street if you want your neighbor's home to sell!) The location of the statue can vary: by the "For Sale" sign, in a flower pot (popular for condo owners), etc.. As long as you can find it once the home has sold. After the home has sold, the statue should be removed from the ground and given a place of honor in your new home.

Popular posts from this blog

A Blind Date & Leaving Comments

8 years ago today I met this sweet man in the picture above. We met on a blind date in the Bluff City (aka- Memfrica). He and I were simply going out to shut up his stepmother and my sister, who had decided that we were meant to be together from one simple fridge photo and a dog named Abby. Little did we know they would be able to pat themselves on the back for the rest of their lives . I am so glad we both agreed to go out for that one date on New Years Eve 2001 because I have had him in my life everyday since that crazy night at my cousin Hollye's back door when he arrived to pick me up to find a baby on my hip that he thought was mine. I remember those beautiful blue eyes and how they about popped out of his head as he stood at the door wondering why no one had mentioned my child. That baby on my hip was Claire. She was 1 then and had just gone number 2 in her diaper right before he rang the bell. She had Styrofoam all over her and me from playing in Christmas boxes. Needless t

All Aboard The Birthday Polar Express

  Can you believe Henry Patton will be 4 years old tomorrow?! Neither can we. We celebrated his birthday last weekend with his first all boy party, polar express style. I had so much fun preparing for it, as you can probably tell! My mother who is never at a loss for words said it looked like Polar Express threw up in my house. She was SO right and we loved it! We had a breakfast pajama party with 7 three and four year old boys. It was such a fun time.   I had his pajamas monogrammed with a train and his name. He loved them and I liked how they sort of looked like the ones on the movie. Henry loved all the bells I had everywhere. There is no doubt we believe at this house. We had the jingle loud and proud!   I had his invitation made from a shop on Etsy and I was very pleased with them. One of his little friends came to the door ready for me to punch his ticket. It was so cute. I ran to get a hole punch and punched it for him. Every good party has to have go

Pedicure Pledge

Just a friendly reminder, it's that time of the year again. Please raise your big toes and repeat after me: As a member of the Sandal Sisterhood, I pledge to follow The Rules when I wear sandals and other open-toe shoes: I promise to always wear sandals that fit. My toes will not hang over and touch the ground, nor will my heels spill over the backs. And the sides and tops of my feet will not pudge out between the straps. I will go polish-free or vow to keep the polish fresh, intact and chip-free. I will not cheat and just touch up my big toe. I will sand down any mounds of skin before they turn hard and yellow. I will shave the hairs off my big toe. I won't wear pantyhose even if my misinformed girlfriend, coworker, mother, sister tells me the toe seam really will stay under my toes if I tuck it there. If a strap breaks, I won't duct-tape, pin, glue or tuck it back in to place hoping it will stay put. I will get my shoe fixed or toss it. No matter how much it hurts. I will