Skip to main content

The pool is open!

Hey everyone!

The pool is open and we are so excited about it!!!

Monday was the big day, and the kids started asking "how long until we swim" at 7:05. Well, it didn't open until 1:00! So it was 6 hours of asking and me telling them to go look at the clock. I was so ready for the pool to open.

This year I bought a new sunscreen. It said it was a clear no-rub spray. I thought this was the greatest idea. Last year I had a pump spray sunscreen that I had to rub in on each of the children, but this one didn't require rubbing it in. I was so excited!!I sprayed it on everyone and we all had a great time.

David and Daniel got sunburned on their shoulders but it wasn't bad. Tuesday we went to the pool, I sprayed on the clear no-rub spray and realized that I was out. OUT! I had used it 3 times. It cost $7.00!!! I didn't have any left for the 3:00 reapply. Imagine my dismay!!!

You see, I have a history of getting sunburned. It is one of the things Stephen remembers vividly about me in high school. Oh, if only memories could be erased!

So, I try to be so careful and not let my kids get sunburned, because I think it somehow seems as if I don't care if my children get burned and in turn get horrible ugly-looking skin. Which is not at all the truth.

Stephen came by the pool before the 3:00 reapply/break time and I told him of my sunscreen dilemma so he went to the store and got the sunscreen from last year. It is trustworthy and it works.

But only when you use it!!!

Samuel decided he didn't want me to apply sunscreen to him, so he did it himself, and forgot major areas of his body. A painful lesson was learned! (thankfully I have not taken a picture or I would feel compelled to post it and then I would be taken to court for being a bad mom)

Anna is doing much better at the pool this year. Last year she had tea parties on the pool steps (hindering anyone from getting into the pool from that way) with Trent the life guard, but this year (due to peer pressure) she is walking around in the shallow end of the pool. I am so proud, but it also requires me to get in the pool. I'm a much better sunbather than swimmer.

If any of you are in our area this summer we would love for you to be our guest at the pool. We'll have snacks for you, and most importantly-SUNSCREEN!

Julie

Comments

Sisters said…
I can still feel all the burns you caused me. I can still picture me in the pew at church on a summer Sunday night in my homemade romper. It was hot pink and so was my skin. Mama & Daddy came home from a trip that night and almost killed you! Crisco is not a good thing. I think you learned that lesson on that very hot evening.
You will be taking me to radiation and chemo when I get older...be prepared!
AJL

Popular posts from this blog

A Blind Date & Leaving Comments

8 years ago today I met this sweet man in the picture above. We met on a blind date in the Bluff City (aka- Memfrica). He and I were simply going out to shut up his stepmother and my sister, who had decided that we were meant to be together from one simple fridge photo and a dog named Abby. Little did we know they would be able to pat themselves on the back for the rest of their lives . I am so glad we both agreed to go out for that one date on New Years Eve 2001 because I have had him in my life everyday since that crazy night at my cousin Hollye's back door when he arrived to pick me up to find a baby on my hip that he thought was mine. I remember those beautiful blue eyes and how they about popped out of his head as he stood at the door wondering why no one had mentioned my child. That baby on my hip was Claire. She was 1 then and had just gone number 2 in her diaper right before he rang the bell. She had Styrofoam all over her and me from playing in Christmas boxes. Needless t

All Aboard The Birthday Polar Express

  Can you believe Henry Patton will be 4 years old tomorrow?! Neither can we. We celebrated his birthday last weekend with his first all boy party, polar express style. I had so much fun preparing for it, as you can probably tell! My mother who is never at a loss for words said it looked like Polar Express threw up in my house. She was SO right and we loved it! We had a breakfast pajama party with 7 three and four year old boys. It was such a fun time.   I had his pajamas monogrammed with a train and his name. He loved them and I liked how they sort of looked like the ones on the movie. Henry loved all the bells I had everywhere. There is no doubt we believe at this house. We had the jingle loud and proud!   I had his invitation made from a shop on Etsy and I was very pleased with them. One of his little friends came to the door ready for me to punch his ticket. It was so cute. I ran to get a hole punch and punched it for him. Every good party has to have go

Pedicure Pledge

Just a friendly reminder, it's that time of the year again. Please raise your big toes and repeat after me: As a member of the Sandal Sisterhood, I pledge to follow The Rules when I wear sandals and other open-toe shoes: I promise to always wear sandals that fit. My toes will not hang over and touch the ground, nor will my heels spill over the backs. And the sides and tops of my feet will not pudge out between the straps. I will go polish-free or vow to keep the polish fresh, intact and chip-free. I will not cheat and just touch up my big toe. I will sand down any mounds of skin before they turn hard and yellow. I will shave the hairs off my big toe. I won't wear pantyhose even if my misinformed girlfriend, coworker, mother, sister tells me the toe seam really will stay under my toes if I tuck it there. If a strap breaks, I won't duct-tape, pin, glue or tuck it back in to place hoping it will stay put. I will get my shoe fixed or toss it. No matter how much it hurts. I will