Skip to main content

A different kind of sadness


We have been dreading this day since the end of last year.
Ethan, Samuel's best friend in town, and his family have been called to be missionairies in South America. When we first found out about their impending move we didn't tell Samuel, knowing that it would break his heart. And we were right, it broke his heart.
Samuel knows about moving, he has moved 4 times in his 10 years, but that doesn't make it any easier to deal with. He also knows about moving where God has called you, but that doesn't make it any easier to deal with when you are 10.
Last weekend we had to drive past moving trucks at Ethan's house and that made all of us sad. They are moving to another town in state for a year before they leave for their mission assignment. But since this is the last week of school, after they moved all their possesions to their temporary home, they came back here for a few days for us to enjoy them. Ethan has been playing at our house last week and spent his last night with us.
This morning when he said bye, I cried. Samuel cried and David cried. David has such a tender heart. They didn't always get along, there is a 4 year age difference, but David is going to miss him.
I told Samuel about the time when my best friend,Kelly moved to Jonesboro and how terribly sad that made me. I remember crying and wanting to go with them. But 10 years later, when I was married I moved to Jonesboro and was able to spend some time with her and enjoy her again. And 15 years after that, my sister has moved to Jonesboro and is friends with Kelly's mother.
Now I know that Samuel might not be able to move to Guatamala but in 10 of 25 years, he might get to spend time with Ethan again. And we will look back on this day, and remember the sadness we felt, but we won't feel that sadness like we do today.
We'll miss you, and we're excited about the new adventure God has called you to.
Julie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Blind Date & Leaving Comments

8 years ago today I met this sweet man in the picture above. We met on a blind date in the Bluff City (aka- Memfrica). He and I were simply going out to shut up his stepmother and my sister, who had decided that we were meant to be together from one simple fridge photo and a dog named Abby. Little did we know they would be able to pat themselves on the back for the rest of their lives . I am so glad we both agreed to go out for that one date on New Years Eve 2001 because I have had him in my life everyday since that crazy night at my cousin Hollye's back door when he arrived to pick me up to find a baby on my hip that he thought was mine. I remember those beautiful blue eyes and how they about popped out of his head as he stood at the door wondering why no one had mentioned my child. That baby on my hip was Claire. She was 1 then and had just gone number 2 in her diaper right before he rang the bell. She had Styrofoam all over her and me from playing in Christmas boxes. Needless t

All Aboard The Birthday Polar Express

  Can you believe Henry Patton will be 4 years old tomorrow?! Neither can we. We celebrated his birthday last weekend with his first all boy party, polar express style. I had so much fun preparing for it, as you can probably tell! My mother who is never at a loss for words said it looked like Polar Express threw up in my house. She was SO right and we loved it! We had a breakfast pajama party with 7 three and four year old boys. It was such a fun time.   I had his pajamas monogrammed with a train and his name. He loved them and I liked how they sort of looked like the ones on the movie. Henry loved all the bells I had everywhere. There is no doubt we believe at this house. We had the jingle loud and proud!   I had his invitation made from a shop on Etsy and I was very pleased with them. One of his little friends came to the door ready for me to punch his ticket. It was so cute. I ran to get a hole punch and punched it for him. Every good party has to have go

Pedicure Pledge

Just a friendly reminder, it's that time of the year again. Please raise your big toes and repeat after me: As a member of the Sandal Sisterhood, I pledge to follow The Rules when I wear sandals and other open-toe shoes: I promise to always wear sandals that fit. My toes will not hang over and touch the ground, nor will my heels spill over the backs. And the sides and tops of my feet will not pudge out between the straps. I will go polish-free or vow to keep the polish fresh, intact and chip-free. I will not cheat and just touch up my big toe. I will sand down any mounds of skin before they turn hard and yellow. I will shave the hairs off my big toe. I won't wear pantyhose even if my misinformed girlfriend, coworker, mother, sister tells me the toe seam really will stay under my toes if I tuck it there. If a strap breaks, I won't duct-tape, pin, glue or tuck it back in to place hoping it will stay put. I will get my shoe fixed or toss it. No matter how much it hurts. I will