Skip to main content

Walmart and Twila- What a day!

Let me make this disclaimer before telling my story: We are by no means in dire straits and (being one to never turn down money) don't need any money (at this time)(however if you feel the need to send some, feel free!!HA!HA!)
The kids and I went on our weekly Walmart trip today. We usually make this trip on Monday but I was evidently playing tag with the 24 hour stomach bug and got tagged so yesterday was a wash! We bought groceries for the week plus detergent, vitamins, and some of those little purple pills. We got to the check-out and with about 4 items left to be rung up Samuel said "hey mom, how much do you think it is now?" (This is a game we play) the clerk hit the total key and it was $13 over what I had in my pocket.( We have been on the cash only system for over 2 years now thanks to Dave Ramsey) So I only have what is in my pocket, no check, no card, no nothin! I told the lady "stop" she said "stop?" I said "STOP!!!! We have to put stuff back!" I was a little bit embarrased (read a lot embarrased!). So we put back the cokes, the sugar, the detergent, applesauce and bubbles. Nothing that was a nessacity for lunch or supper. I normally tell Stephen when I am buying detergent and anything extra so I get a little extra money, but I neglected to do that this time. So while making a hospital visit this afternoon he stopped by Walmart-a dfferent one- and got what I couldn't. What a nice guy!
And before you jump on the "he doesn't let you have any money" bandwagon let me say that that is a choice that was made by me, not him, right after Anna was born. I am a much happier, more easy-going person because of it.
One more thing before I go. One of the kids and my favorite songs is The Days of Elijah (which can be heard at www.twilaparis.com click on jukebox). I turn it way up and the kids come running to the office and dance around. There is nothing like seeing Anna standing up in her chair singing "there is no God like Jehovah" and seeing the boys dancing around repeating that phrase. I know that all kinds of kids are singing all kinds of songs but wow! when I see my kids singing Christian songs with a great message it just warms my heart. The song that plays after the Days of Elijah is "He is Exalted". This is Anna's favorite and she even knows what exalted means. I took a picture of Anna singing while I've been typing this but for some reason it won't post-sorry!
Well I know I have used many ( ) and " " in this and probably a few too many of these !!!!!!!
But I can't help it!
Hope your trips to Walmart are better than mine!!!
Julie

Comments

Sisters said…
I can totally hear them singing in the office...too cute! I love the Walmart story...it is SO you!
AJL
Becca said…
We love Dave Ramsey, but I use my debit card for groceries. We're still in (very expensive) special formula, diapers, etc. over here, so I thought it would be impossible. Cash for the rest, though. It's awesome. Go you!
Unknown said…
girl, i am all about some dave ramsey. i am going through financial peace university right now, and have started the envelope system. and i am kind of like you with cash....i would rather someone else hold onto it and dole it out when i need it. cash is dangerous in these hands!! ha ha!!

Popular posts from this blog

A Blind Date & Leaving Comments

8 years ago today I met this sweet man in the picture above. We met on a blind date in the Bluff City (aka- Memfrica). He and I were simply going out to shut up his stepmother and my sister, who had decided that we were meant to be together from one simple fridge photo and a dog named Abby. Little did we know they would be able to pat themselves on the back for the rest of their lives . I am so glad we both agreed to go out for that one date on New Years Eve 2001 because I have had him in my life everyday since that crazy night at my cousin Hollye's back door when he arrived to pick me up to find a baby on my hip that he thought was mine. I remember those beautiful blue eyes and how they about popped out of his head as he stood at the door wondering why no one had mentioned my child. That baby on my hip was Claire. She was 1 then and had just gone number 2 in her diaper right before he rang the bell. She had Styrofoam all over her and me from playing in Christmas boxes. Needless t

All Aboard The Birthday Polar Express

  Can you believe Henry Patton will be 4 years old tomorrow?! Neither can we. We celebrated his birthday last weekend with his first all boy party, polar express style. I had so much fun preparing for it, as you can probably tell! My mother who is never at a loss for words said it looked like Polar Express threw up in my house. She was SO right and we loved it! We had a breakfast pajama party with 7 three and four year old boys. It was such a fun time.   I had his pajamas monogrammed with a train and his name. He loved them and I liked how they sort of looked like the ones on the movie. Henry loved all the bells I had everywhere. There is no doubt we believe at this house. We had the jingle loud and proud!   I had his invitation made from a shop on Etsy and I was very pleased with them. One of his little friends came to the door ready for me to punch his ticket. It was so cute. I ran to get a hole punch and punched it for him. Every good party has to have go

Pedicure Pledge

Just a friendly reminder, it's that time of the year again. Please raise your big toes and repeat after me: As a member of the Sandal Sisterhood, I pledge to follow The Rules when I wear sandals and other open-toe shoes: I promise to always wear sandals that fit. My toes will not hang over and touch the ground, nor will my heels spill over the backs. And the sides and tops of my feet will not pudge out between the straps. I will go polish-free or vow to keep the polish fresh, intact and chip-free. I will not cheat and just touch up my big toe. I will sand down any mounds of skin before they turn hard and yellow. I will shave the hairs off my big toe. I won't wear pantyhose even if my misinformed girlfriend, coworker, mother, sister tells me the toe seam really will stay under my toes if I tuck it there. If a strap breaks, I won't duct-tape, pin, glue or tuck it back in to place hoping it will stay put. I will get my shoe fixed or toss it. No matter how much it hurts. I will