Skip to main content

Treading Water?

I'm not sure who reads this blog, it may just be my mom and dad. On the off chance that it is more than just that I thought I would share with you my thoughts and see what you think!
Do any of you feel like you are just treading water? You are doing all the things you are supposed to be doing, washing clothes, cooking dinner, vacuuming, dusting, bathing the kids (and yourself!) but it seems like you never have time to clean the baseboards, sit and read a book for more than 5 minutes at a time, or even put the clean clothes up, because it is time to start the list all over again? I am with you if you feel like that!
Now that I have the Internet at home, I have begun reading different blogs of people I don't know ( i just find them through links on other peoples blogs) and man do they seem to have it all together! One girl has 3 kids under 6 and is knitting sweaters, hats, and even the 3 little pigs, wolf and all!
I am trying to teach my children the 3 R's, obedience and, common sense(which I'm not sure can be taught!), cook, clean and be the wife that I need to be(which usually just means cook and clean!HA!). And it seems like I am just treading water. Like I'm yards from the seashore and am doing all I can but still can't get back to land.
For those of you that are feeling my pain, let me tell you that obviously you are not alone. And that God loves you and is smiling down on you when you are treading water. He wants you to reach the shore, to be successful and happy and content. But if it didn't take effort to get to the shore, we might not appreciate it when we get there.
Some of the best times I've had at the beach with Stephen have been when we were yards from shore, treading water and just talking and laughing. There have been times when I have floated out by myself and Stephen has come to rescue me with a raft.
Don't you think that God is waiting somewhere with a raft?! He is! Reach out to Him! Pray, read the Bible, it is how He communicates with us. Start in Proverbs, Psalms, 1-2 Corinthians, Genesis somewhere and God will meet you there with a raft. Girls (boys) don't just stay out there treading water, use the raft. It may still be sometime before we reach the seashore, but lets enjoy being yards away while we are there!

p.s. Mom, I'm not depressed, just learning to be happy where I am!!!!

Julie

Comments

Anonymous said…
thanks for the p.s. i do know how you feel when you think you are just treading water. but you can't tread water for long or you will wear down. So find what makes you feel good more of the time and reach out for it. It can't be all bad. mama
Mandy said…
Julie, I am there with you on treading water with my list of "to do" things! It is never ending with three kids!
Anonymous said…
Amen sister!! Well put :)

Melissa
Unknown said…
i don't even have kids or a husband, and i know how you feel! i have no idea how people do their jobs all day, exercise like they should, get all their housework done, cook a dinner that would amaze julia child herself, and still find time for themselves......but it seems there are people that do that. maybe they are really good liars, i don't know. but i feel like crap when i compare myself to them! there aren't enough hours in the day. but, it is encouraging to know that God meets us where we are. Such a blessing.

Popular posts from this blog

A Blind Date & Leaving Comments

8 years ago today I met this sweet man in the picture above. We met on a blind date in the Bluff City (aka- Memfrica). He and I were simply going out to shut up his stepmother and my sister, who had decided that we were meant to be together from one simple fridge photo and a dog named Abby. Little did we know they would be able to pat themselves on the back for the rest of their lives . I am so glad we both agreed to go out for that one date on New Years Eve 2001 because I have had him in my life everyday since that crazy night at my cousin Hollye's back door when he arrived to pick me up to find a baby on my hip that he thought was mine. I remember those beautiful blue eyes and how they about popped out of his head as he stood at the door wondering why no one had mentioned my child. That baby on my hip was Claire. She was 1 then and had just gone number 2 in her diaper right before he rang the bell. She had Styrofoam all over her and me from playing in Christmas boxes. Needless t

All Aboard The Birthday Polar Express

  Can you believe Henry Patton will be 4 years old tomorrow?! Neither can we. We celebrated his birthday last weekend with his first all boy party, polar express style. I had so much fun preparing for it, as you can probably tell! My mother who is never at a loss for words said it looked like Polar Express threw up in my house. She was SO right and we loved it! We had a breakfast pajama party with 7 three and four year old boys. It was such a fun time.   I had his pajamas monogrammed with a train and his name. He loved them and I liked how they sort of looked like the ones on the movie. Henry loved all the bells I had everywhere. There is no doubt we believe at this house. We had the jingle loud and proud!   I had his invitation made from a shop on Etsy and I was very pleased with them. One of his little friends came to the door ready for me to punch his ticket. It was so cute. I ran to get a hole punch and punched it for him. Every good party has to have go

Pedicure Pledge

Just a friendly reminder, it's that time of the year again. Please raise your big toes and repeat after me: As a member of the Sandal Sisterhood, I pledge to follow The Rules when I wear sandals and other open-toe shoes: I promise to always wear sandals that fit. My toes will not hang over and touch the ground, nor will my heels spill over the backs. And the sides and tops of my feet will not pudge out between the straps. I will go polish-free or vow to keep the polish fresh, intact and chip-free. I will not cheat and just touch up my big toe. I will sand down any mounds of skin before they turn hard and yellow. I will shave the hairs off my big toe. I won't wear pantyhose even if my misinformed girlfriend, coworker, mother, sister tells me the toe seam really will stay under my toes if I tuck it there. If a strap breaks, I won't duct-tape, pin, glue or tuck it back in to place hoping it will stay put. I will get my shoe fixed or toss it. No matter how much it hurts. I will