Skip to main content

I Still Miss Her

Wilma and her girls - our last picture with her. About 6 weeks before she died.


10 years ago this morning my Meemaw (Julie's "Grandmother") met Jesus face to face. What a rejoicing that must have been for she, my Peepaw (Julie's "Granddaddy") and our Healer. We called them different names, but they were the same people to us...loving, Godly grandparents who helped mold us into the women we are today.

There are so many things I wish she was here to see. She never met Anna or Henry. She would adore Anna's love for all things girly and Henry's curly hair and knee socks. She loved Samuel, Claire, David and Daniel and bragged on them every week at the beauty shop and at church. Meemaw loved family and because of that we are still the same, strong family she left 10 years ago. As I get older I find myself appreciating my maternal and paternal families so much more. Julie and I were SO fournate to end up in this life together with all these people.


This is how I like to remember her

I miss you, Meemaw. I still sometimes cry when I talk about you. I sometimes get tears when I am washing Henry with his bar of Dove soap. I have been known to get weepy when I see a turquoise dress in a store. I always cry at Easter and I always cry when I have to go buy my own clothes! You would have quit buying for me by now though...you always said when I got a man to take care of me you would stop. I am so glad God saw fit to get me "Ronald" just in time. (She met Randall 3 times and thought that was his name) I really, really miss laughing with you. See, that would have made you laugh.

Man, I miss that laugh of yours and your witty, southern comments. I miss calling you at the end of the day and telling you all about (what was then boys...boys, boys, boys!) life and teaching you the latest, hip sayings. You always cracked me up using them on Emma and Babs. The time you called me at school and when I answered and you said "Who let the dogs out" will play in my memory until we meet again....I loved it! I would always get the ole "Abby, You just won't do!" I miss hearing you say that to me. Daddy and Babs still say it to me, but it isn't the same. I miss eating fat free saltines with you before bed and eating peaches with you in the summer. Peaches make me cry. Peeling a peach brings tears most times.

I was really glad Macy's bought Goldsmith's because I couldn't stand going in that store without you. Oak Court Goldsmith's was our place. The sales ladies knew us. I could go in alone to pick up something you wanted me to have (you wanted me to have everything. Randall has no idea why I want the way I do. I tell him it is your fault!) and the sales lady would always ask, "How is your grandmother? We have some new Alfred Dunner things she will love." You loved Alfred. Every time I see that label in a store I almost cry. It is not my favorite look, so I don't usually cry...just being honest, Meems!

Every time I am at Babs' and Uncle Joe's house I wonder if you can see the fridge from heaven. It fit! You were so worried about it and you never got to see the newly remodeled kitchen. I can see you looking back at the kitchen from Babs' "easy" chair, looking at me, and then whispering "I hate to tell Joe this, but that new fridge is not going to fit in the pantry." It worried you so much. We were all there to witness it go in and We laughed for you and cried because you weren't there to see it. By the way, are you sitting down....Babs and UJ own a dog. Its name is Boots and he took over the sun porch. If you weren't already dead, you would be now! :)

Man, I miss you! I can't wait to get to heaven so I can touch you, hear you say, "There's my pretty girl", and smile at me with that look of adoration you always offered me. Part of me died with you. I can't wait to get it back some day. I still love you like crazy, Meemaw!


Your Girl

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Blind Date & Leaving Comments

8 years ago today I met this sweet man in the picture above. We met on a blind date in the Bluff City (aka- Memfrica). He and I were simply going out to shut up his stepmother and my sister, who had decided that we were meant to be together from one simple fridge photo and a dog named Abby. Little did we know they would be able to pat themselves on the back for the rest of their lives . I am so glad we both agreed to go out for that one date on New Years Eve 2001 because I have had him in my life everyday since that crazy night at my cousin Hollye's back door when he arrived to pick me up to find a baby on my hip that he thought was mine. I remember those beautiful blue eyes and how they about popped out of his head as he stood at the door wondering why no one had mentioned my child. That baby on my hip was Claire. She was 1 then and had just gone number 2 in her diaper right before he rang the bell. She had Styrofoam all over her and me from playing in Christmas boxes. Needless t

All Aboard The Birthday Polar Express

  Can you believe Henry Patton will be 4 years old tomorrow?! Neither can we. We celebrated his birthday last weekend with his first all boy party, polar express style. I had so much fun preparing for it, as you can probably tell! My mother who is never at a loss for words said it looked like Polar Express threw up in my house. She was SO right and we loved it! We had a breakfast pajama party with 7 three and four year old boys. It was such a fun time.   I had his pajamas monogrammed with a train and his name. He loved them and I liked how they sort of looked like the ones on the movie. Henry loved all the bells I had everywhere. There is no doubt we believe at this house. We had the jingle loud and proud!   I had his invitation made from a shop on Etsy and I was very pleased with them. One of his little friends came to the door ready for me to punch his ticket. It was so cute. I ran to get a hole punch and punched it for him. Every good party has to have go

Pedicure Pledge

Just a friendly reminder, it's that time of the year again. Please raise your big toes and repeat after me: As a member of the Sandal Sisterhood, I pledge to follow The Rules when I wear sandals and other open-toe shoes: I promise to always wear sandals that fit. My toes will not hang over and touch the ground, nor will my heels spill over the backs. And the sides and tops of my feet will not pudge out between the straps. I will go polish-free or vow to keep the polish fresh, intact and chip-free. I will not cheat and just touch up my big toe. I will sand down any mounds of skin before they turn hard and yellow. I will shave the hairs off my big toe. I won't wear pantyhose even if my misinformed girlfriend, coworker, mother, sister tells me the toe seam really will stay under my toes if I tuck it there. If a strap breaks, I won't duct-tape, pin, glue or tuck it back in to place hoping it will stay put. I will get my shoe fixed or toss it. No matter how much it hurts. I will