Skip to main content

Sign, Sealed and Delivered

Our Custom Built House in Byhalia, MS
(at Christmas time...my favorite!)

My Most Favorite Place in this House

Well, it is official...we have a contract on our house and are planning to be moved out by the end of June. God showed us his mercy last week and for that we are most thankful. The offer was unexpected, exactly what we wished for and proved to be one that was bathed in prayer for many weeks. Praise be!

We were told to be ready to sit on the house for at least 127 days due to the area and the slow market. We instead sat on it for about 62 LONG days. We had 5 showings and 1 finally brought forth fruit. Because Rand's company deals with the written contract and closing and then they will pack us, move us and unpack us... it is sort of a cake walk compared to what other people go through when in this same boat. Because we have not yet found a new house to call home at this time, we are looking for a storage unit for all of our belongings that won't fit in our apartment. We feel very blessed to not have all the stress that this transition usually brings a homeowner.

Our home:

It was a great gift from God. We bought it 4 years ago when the market was booming and prices were low. We literally customized everything from the floor to the ceiling. We didn't realize what we had until we started looking for a house here. Humbling, is the best word to describe it without getting too personal!

Through all of this I am learning that a house doesn't define you, yet your home does. Whether you live in a trailer, an apartment, a modest house or an elaborate house...it is your home and a home defines you as a family or an individual, regardless of what or where it is.

I didn't realize how attached I was to my house until I drove away from it 2 weeks ago with all we could fit in Rand's truck and on his trailer, in order to set up a temporary home while keeping the house staged to near perfection. As I looked in the rear view mirror my heart sank and I didn't like that feeling. My 1.6 acres of perfect Bermuda my husband had seeded and sodded himself, my lilies that my husband brought home to me when we first moved in had tripled in size, my hostas were in perfect health, my irises that my mother-in-law planted for me were budding and blooming all over the place, my Mexican petunia that my mother-in-law also planted for me was making its annual appearance, my rose bush was blooming like never before, my little treelings were all in bloom and my blue hydrangea bush that Mrs. Rochelle gave me when we first became friends was growing like wildfire. I was driving away for one of the last times and it made me a bit angry and sad.

The trouble with all this was that I was thinking "my" the whole time I looked back. When in reality, God gave us that house and we made it a home. My home is where I make it. It is true, as overused as it is, your home is where you heart it is. As much as I will always love and cherish the memories in our first house, I am ready to make a home here in this apartment where we live at this current time. If I have learned anything in my 29 full years of living, it is to bloom where you are planted and that is what I intended to do, once again!

Please continue to pray all goes as planned with the closing and that Rand and I can find our place so we can set down roots in our new community.

Abby

Comments

Anonymous said…
Yeah! I'm so happy that y'all have sold it. I know y'all are relieved. We'll be praying that you find the perfect house to call home there in Jonesboro.

Love ya,
Melissa
Mandy said…
Congrats, Abby!! Now to find the perfect new house to live in! Your favorite room is the same color as my kitchen! Love the red!!
Anonymous said…
One big prayer answered!!! Now on to our next one for a new home where you will feel just as safe and happy.

yfa,
tbeo
Matt and Jolee said…
Congrats! I was in your boat this time last year and it is so stressful having that hanging over your head. God has it all worked out for you. :-) And, just for the record, I've cried from every house I'm moved from so that's normal! I've lost count how many - I think we are on our 7th house if I counted right. (bought some, rented most)
Anonymous said…
YEA! Praise the Lord!
I'm so glad that you already recognize the life lessons you have learned from selling this home and making a new one! God is good and always has a better plan than we could ever imagine!
love ya
Emily said…
Congratulations on selling your house. I know you will have no problem making your next dwelling a home! Best wishes in your search for that perfect place!
Anonymous said…
I am so glad all is falling into place for you and Randall. I know God is in control and will guide you to the home you will love and the job you will love.
Great photos of your weekend trip to "Star Town"... If Anna Kathryn Beavers is not the "second Coming" of Julie Skutt Beavers I'll kiss a possum's rear end.

Yo Daddy

Popular posts from this blog

A Blind Date & Leaving Comments

8 years ago today I met this sweet man in the picture above. We met on a blind date in the Bluff City (aka- Memfrica). He and I were simply going out to shut up his stepmother and my sister, who had decided that we were meant to be together from one simple fridge photo and a dog named Abby. Little did we know they would be able to pat themselves on the back for the rest of their lives . I am so glad we both agreed to go out for that one date on New Years Eve 2001 because I have had him in my life everyday since that crazy night at my cousin Hollye's back door when he arrived to pick me up to find a baby on my hip that he thought was mine. I remember those beautiful blue eyes and how they about popped out of his head as he stood at the door wondering why no one had mentioned my child. That baby on my hip was Claire. She was 1 then and had just gone number 2 in her diaper right before he rang the bell. She had Styrofoam all over her and me from playing in Christmas boxes. Needless t

All Aboard The Birthday Polar Express

  Can you believe Henry Patton will be 4 years old tomorrow?! Neither can we. We celebrated his birthday last weekend with his first all boy party, polar express style. I had so much fun preparing for it, as you can probably tell! My mother who is never at a loss for words said it looked like Polar Express threw up in my house. She was SO right and we loved it! We had a breakfast pajama party with 7 three and four year old boys. It was such a fun time.   I had his pajamas monogrammed with a train and his name. He loved them and I liked how they sort of looked like the ones on the movie. Henry loved all the bells I had everywhere. There is no doubt we believe at this house. We had the jingle loud and proud!   I had his invitation made from a shop on Etsy and I was very pleased with them. One of his little friends came to the door ready for me to punch his ticket. It was so cute. I ran to get a hole punch and punched it for him. Every good party has to have go

Pedicure Pledge

Just a friendly reminder, it's that time of the year again. Please raise your big toes and repeat after me: As a member of the Sandal Sisterhood, I pledge to follow The Rules when I wear sandals and other open-toe shoes: I promise to always wear sandals that fit. My toes will not hang over and touch the ground, nor will my heels spill over the backs. And the sides and tops of my feet will not pudge out between the straps. I will go polish-free or vow to keep the polish fresh, intact and chip-free. I will not cheat and just touch up my big toe. I will sand down any mounds of skin before they turn hard and yellow. I will shave the hairs off my big toe. I won't wear pantyhose even if my misinformed girlfriend, coworker, mother, sister tells me the toe seam really will stay under my toes if I tuck it there. If a strap breaks, I won't duct-tape, pin, glue or tuck it back in to place hoping it will stay put. I will get my shoe fixed or toss it. No matter how much it hurts. I will