Skip to main content

Read Only if You Love Me

I apologize in advance. This won't be a fun post. I just need a place to vent. Not in such a public place as Facebook of Twitter, but here. We're an intimate little group. You stop here to see how Abby and I are doing, to see pictures of Henry and to see what we're up to. I feel like you won't mind what I have to say and odds are you won't comment. It will be great!

Today I was reading a book at the pool, just a Christian fiction book, nothing inspirational or challenging. The character was telling God that he didn't like the way He was ruling the world. I broke out into tears. AT. THE. POOL!

I related so much to what the character said. I sat at the pool and railed against God and what was happening in my life. I got home and share with Stephen and railed a bit more against God and what was happening in my life. And you know what happened next? Our neighbors came and brought us a cake.

You see I was griping and complaining about church people. Why do they have to be so mean and ugly? Why is the place I need to go and worship full of people that are so ugly, spiteful, out for themselves, and rude? I was thinking that maybe we should just move away, get jobs and live lives like everyone else.

But all the time, I knew that God was patiently listening to me, bearing with me. Because in another part of my head I was listing all the ways God had blessed us in the last months.

The neighbors that brought the cake to us are members of the church we're attending. I could just hear God speaking to my heart saying," Julie, I love you. Can't you see?"

At the moment when I was railing against God, He was loving me and pulling me closer to Him. Isn't that just like Him?

I was thinking about other institutions that people treat the same as churches. People don't like churches because there are member that don't live the life being taught by the church. I thought about colleges. We don't hate the college because of the amount of students that drop out or flunk out. We cheer the college for the good it does, we neglect the bad. So, why can't we do that for churches? I don't know. My only thought is that churches are light, and evil doesn't like light. Isn't that what the Bible teaches?

Ok, so I'm through railing, and complaining. It seems my tears are still streaming down my cheeks, which means my heart still hurts. Oh, how I hate that part. But, I know my God is near and drawing me to Him. I really don't want to go to church tonight, but I know that that is where I'm supposed to be. So, I will put some makeup on this face and hope for the best! I know God will honor my presence and bless me. If I will just get out of the way!

Thanks for reading. Thanks for letting me vent. I'm better because of it. Well, maybe.

Julie

Comments

Lindsay said…
I found y'alls blog a while back via Kelly's Korner..I found it because I could relate to your sis, a working mom. Now I know God brought me here because you need some MAJOR prayers, sister! My dad is a minister. I vowed I would NEVER marry one. And I didn't! But.....now I work for a church. AM I AN IDIOT or WHAT?! LOL! But I get it, Julie. TOTALLY get it. Not your exact circumstance, but your feelings. I know so much about the people in our congregation..all their "dirt." And I get drug into stuff, like a nasty divorce just because I was a listening ear when my sister in christ told me she was having an affair. All I want is to not know any of this, just show up to church, be a happy little family & worship God, say hi to everyone and hug & smile then go home to my happy life. Instead, I have to deal with everyone's crap. So I know those feelings of "why are people so messed up & mean?!" But then I remember, this life isn't about me. It is not about what I can get out of it or how I can be happy and comfortable. It is about me loving and serving others and furthering God's kingdom. It is about people seeing Jesus in me. Being a minister or minister's wife or church employee really sucks sometimes. I get that. And I know how good it feels to vent. I know I can't help you...but God can. He knows what you need even better than you do. So, instead of trying to offer you some amazing words to help you, just know this...there is a girl down in East Texas who has never met you, but she's praying for you! :)

Popular posts from this blog

A Blind Date & Leaving Comments

8 years ago today I met this sweet man in the picture above. We met on a blind date in the Bluff City (aka- Memfrica). He and I were simply going out to shut up his stepmother and my sister, who had decided that we were meant to be together from one simple fridge photo and a dog named Abby. Little did we know they would be able to pat themselves on the back for the rest of their lives . I am so glad we both agreed to go out for that one date on New Years Eve 2001 because I have had him in my life everyday since that crazy night at my cousin Hollye's back door when he arrived to pick me up to find a baby on my hip that he thought was mine. I remember those beautiful blue eyes and how they about popped out of his head as he stood at the door wondering why no one had mentioned my child. That baby on my hip was Claire. She was 1 then and had just gone number 2 in her diaper right before he rang the bell. She had Styrofoam all over her and me from playing in Christmas boxes. Needless t

All Aboard The Birthday Polar Express

  Can you believe Henry Patton will be 4 years old tomorrow?! Neither can we. We celebrated his birthday last weekend with his first all boy party, polar express style. I had so much fun preparing for it, as you can probably tell! My mother who is never at a loss for words said it looked like Polar Express threw up in my house. She was SO right and we loved it! We had a breakfast pajama party with 7 three and four year old boys. It was such a fun time.   I had his pajamas monogrammed with a train and his name. He loved them and I liked how they sort of looked like the ones on the movie. Henry loved all the bells I had everywhere. There is no doubt we believe at this house. We had the jingle loud and proud!   I had his invitation made from a shop on Etsy and I was very pleased with them. One of his little friends came to the door ready for me to punch his ticket. It was so cute. I ran to get a hole punch and punched it for him. Every good party has to have go

Pedicure Pledge

Just a friendly reminder, it's that time of the year again. Please raise your big toes and repeat after me: As a member of the Sandal Sisterhood, I pledge to follow The Rules when I wear sandals and other open-toe shoes: I promise to always wear sandals that fit. My toes will not hang over and touch the ground, nor will my heels spill over the backs. And the sides and tops of my feet will not pudge out between the straps. I will go polish-free or vow to keep the polish fresh, intact and chip-free. I will not cheat and just touch up my big toe. I will sand down any mounds of skin before they turn hard and yellow. I will shave the hairs off my big toe. I won't wear pantyhose even if my misinformed girlfriend, coworker, mother, sister tells me the toe seam really will stay under my toes if I tuck it there. If a strap breaks, I won't duct-tape, pin, glue or tuck it back in to place hoping it will stay put. I will get my shoe fixed or toss it. No matter how much it hurts. I will