Skip to main content

Food Friday

This week we had a charity event at work. I coordinated the shindig and had a ball. I love a part-a! We raised money for 5 local charities and ate real good. Leslie (in the pic with me) and I love to eat good so we enjoyed being in charge of the food.

I found this cheese tray in shape of a tree on the Pinterest and insisted we had to have it! It was much better in person. This photo was taken at a bad angle, but I was too busy hosting to be taking photos for Food Friday...just sayin!

This is not food related, but this tree and I have had some rounds and I think I am finally ahead! I decorated our work tree in mid-October for a November issue of our local magazine. They did a feature story on our event and came and took photos. We moved the tree to the back of the building until it was acceptable to have a tree on display in the lobby... and it all fell apart. We brought it out last week and I redecorated it. Then, the next day the lights decided to burn out. So, I undecorated it, strung lights and then redecorated it. I am not touching that thing again until 2012! It is a hard job, I tell ya. (I know the poor angel is lopsided but my "give a dad-gum" is busted concerning that tree.)

Now I am gearing up for Thanksgiving! Henry wore his turkey shirt to school today and said "gobble gobble". I love that it is less than a week away. It always amazes me how food can take us down memory lane and evoke such wonderful feelings.

Next week I will get to eat oyster dressing. The excitement level in my mouth and tummy are out of control. I have not had it in 5 years. Way past due! I cannot wait to eat my Grandmother's Thanksgiving meal. I have missed it. Having split families on both sides makes it so hard for Randall and me to know where to go, who to see, who had us last time, who gets us this time, etc. The upside...we can pick where we want to go because that ole "give a dad-gum" is slowly getting busted as we get older! Mawmaw gets us this time...whoo hoo!

The rolls the Tilton women make...oh my...oh my. I cannot wait to have one melt in my mouth. When I smell them it makes me almost cry thinking about our Granny. I love it. She was my grandmother's mother and helped mold me into the woman I am today. I had her in my life each day until I was 13. I loved that women and her hot rolls. I hope she makes them in heaven.

Rhubarb pie...no strawberries, just rhubarb. This is the pie of all pies. My mouth is already puckering up for the first bite. I love family traditions. We have them on all sides. I am anxious to celebrate these food traditions with my large maternal family this Thanksgiving. Last year we spent it with my paternal family and enjoyed lots of recipes that reminded me of my precious Meemaw. I am blessed to go spend it this year with my only living grandmother, in her home. Thank you Lord, how could I ever ask for more!

Happy Food Friday!
Abby

Comments

Anonymous said…
To my beautiful granddaughters,
I wish you every good thing.
I am so thankful for both of you
and and love you dearly.
Mamaw

Popular posts from this blog

A Blind Date & Leaving Comments

8 years ago today I met this sweet man in the picture above. We met on a blind date in the Bluff City (aka- Memfrica). He and I were simply going out to shut up his stepmother and my sister, who had decided that we were meant to be together from one simple fridge photo and a dog named Abby. Little did we know they would be able to pat themselves on the back for the rest of their lives . I am so glad we both agreed to go out for that one date on New Years Eve 2001 because I have had him in my life everyday since that crazy night at my cousin Hollye's back door when he arrived to pick me up to find a baby on my hip that he thought was mine. I remember those beautiful blue eyes and how they about popped out of his head as he stood at the door wondering why no one had mentioned my child. That baby on my hip was Claire. She was 1 then and had just gone number 2 in her diaper right before he rang the bell. She had Styrofoam all over her and me from playing in Christmas boxes. Needless t

All Aboard The Birthday Polar Express

  Can you believe Henry Patton will be 4 years old tomorrow?! Neither can we. We celebrated his birthday last weekend with his first all boy party, polar express style. I had so much fun preparing for it, as you can probably tell! My mother who is never at a loss for words said it looked like Polar Express threw up in my house. She was SO right and we loved it! We had a breakfast pajama party with 7 three and four year old boys. It was such a fun time.   I had his pajamas monogrammed with a train and his name. He loved them and I liked how they sort of looked like the ones on the movie. Henry loved all the bells I had everywhere. There is no doubt we believe at this house. We had the jingle loud and proud!   I had his invitation made from a shop on Etsy and I was very pleased with them. One of his little friends came to the door ready for me to punch his ticket. It was so cute. I ran to get a hole punch and punched it for him. Every good party has to have go

Pedicure Pledge

Just a friendly reminder, it's that time of the year again. Please raise your big toes and repeat after me: As a member of the Sandal Sisterhood, I pledge to follow The Rules when I wear sandals and other open-toe shoes: I promise to always wear sandals that fit. My toes will not hang over and touch the ground, nor will my heels spill over the backs. And the sides and tops of my feet will not pudge out between the straps. I will go polish-free or vow to keep the polish fresh, intact and chip-free. I will not cheat and just touch up my big toe. I will sand down any mounds of skin before they turn hard and yellow. I will shave the hairs off my big toe. I won't wear pantyhose even if my misinformed girlfriend, coworker, mother, sister tells me the toe seam really will stay under my toes if I tuck it there. If a strap breaks, I won't duct-tape, pin, glue or tuck it back in to place hoping it will stay put. I will get my shoe fixed or toss it. No matter how much it hurts. I will