Skip to main content

Oh, The Christmas Craze

Julie and I had all these great ideas for December posts. We were going to do a post a day on our favorite things, activities and memories. Well, that ain't happening, folks! I am chasing a little walker, being a domestic diva who is now married to a sourdough bread starter, trying to fit in quality family time before Henry goes to bed, and then trying to decide what to buy the man of the house so I can be finished with my Christmas shopping...that I just can't gather my thoughts at the end of the day for a decent post.
I know Julie is just as scattered these days also. So, if we go a few days without posting...we are alive, just not coherent enough to post anything worth reading!

Seeing the wonder and excitement in little Henry's eyes this year is so much fun. I realize he is still too young to understand it all, but compared to last year we have come light years, people! He slept during the month of December last year, yet we loved having that baby asleep under our tree and thought it was the best thing EVER.

Henry has several Christmas outfits he has been sporting this month. This is one my best friend Melissa passed on to me. Her two oldest boys wore it. We love wearing it. Everyday he is either a reindeer, a Santa or an elf. His teacher at school always calls him one of the three, depending on his attire that day. Honestly, he is the only child in his class decked out in holiday wear each day...the girls don't even have him beat. Henry will kill me later in life, I am sure. But boy howdy, he is a cutie in his festive wear isn't he?!

I gave up my snowman and Santa sweaters a few years ago. Sometimes I regret doing it but I was the only one left in my age bracket who did not teach school still wearing them...so, I figured I best before the Christmas fashion police paid me a visit. I wear red and green shirts with sweaters....and I do have a sporty snowflake vest I got on clearance last year and 2 sporty, festive t-shirts. I miss the snowball zippers on my sweaters though...just sayin.

We carried on tradition at our house and took Henry to see the Lights Of The Delta again this year. We took him last year...he was unaware, of course. This year he was alert and curious. It was so much fun to watch him react to all the lights. I saw the magic and wonder of Christmas in his eyes for the first time as we drove through the light show. Randall and I both beamed from ear to ear for a bit. It was so heart-warming.
They set the lights to music and since I like to take the lead on most songs when traveling with my family, I sang our way through the light display. The family does not always find it fair, attractive or fun though. I love Henry's expression as I belt out a familiar carol in his ear. It is though he is looking at Randall and saying, "Really, is she gonna do this in my ear the whole way through this light show, Daddy?!"
A few nights after we went to the light display we decided to take Henry to Memphis to Zoo Lights. Randall and I had great fun going in the past. We were both so anxious to take Henry and start another tradition. Randall promised me 1, and only 1 family photo that night (I am sporting the snowflake vest mentioned in the above paragraph). What a pal! I am so glad it ended up being somewhat decent. He says I ruin the fun by always having a camera in my hand. So, I am trying to compromise with my sweet man and learning to take fewer, more meaningful shots.
Henry and Mama at Zoo Lights. It was colder than a well diggers behind, but we survived....well, barely. Henry had a major meltdown about 30 seconds after his daddy took this picture and we were at the very, very, VERY back of the zoo. People, it was not cute. Randall had to carry him all the way to the truck, screaming and kicking. Henry refused to sit in his stroller. At one point Randall looked at me, as I pushed the empty stroller, and said, "My arms are so sore I can't feel them anymore. Tell me if I drop him." I did not laugh at the time, but now I am laughing.
Henry Patton was snoring in his carseat before we got out of the parking lot. Oh, to be a baby! His daddy and I decided a long car ride at supper time, going out to eat, and then taking him to a place that overly stimulated him right at his normal bed time was a bad idea. We may or may not carry on this tradition. We will revisit it next year at the terrible twos and see if it is worth the drive. His daddy is still recovering from the outing. We are so your typical first time parents. We are fully aware. No need to inform us.

Here is our 2010 Christmas card. I just love it. Lindsey has done our card for the past 4 years. I tell her what I want, how much I have to spend on printing, and then 3 days later I get a box of cards shipped to my porch. I really am a rotten mess of a friend, I know. We are so glad she loves us like she does.
Randall and I started doing photo cards the year we married, in 2003. It was a wedding photo. Each year we have done something different. We have had a year or two of us just standing in front of our tree, but the last few years I have been a bit creative. I used to order 115 cards and sent every one of them. This year I decided that was excessive and only ordered 75. If you read this and did not get one and normally have in the past, I am sorry. We are in a recession. My mother assured me those who did not get one would not miss it...she always helps me keep it real. Love her honesty....and she is probably right.
I have also done the proverbial Christmas letter with my card since 2006 but this year I did not do one. I thought it would be a relief because so many people make fun of those of us who do letters. Yet, Julie was upset with me for not doing one, but I sat down to do one this year and nothing flowed. Maybe next year I will have time to sit and gather my thoughts...but I am doubting that!

So, what fun things have you been up to and what fun things do you have in the hopper?

Abby

Comments

Tara said…
Abby, I gotta tell ya, Henry is one of the cutest boys I have ever seen. I love all the Christmas clothes. Hope you all have a very Merry Christmas!

Tara
Kelley said…
Love love love your post! We are doing new traditions too. I love Henry's cutie pie clothes. Your Christmas cards are awesome!

Popular posts from this blog

A Blind Date & Leaving Comments

8 years ago today I met this sweet man in the picture above. We met on a blind date in the Bluff City (aka- Memfrica). He and I were simply going out to shut up his stepmother and my sister, who had decided that we were meant to be together from one simple fridge photo and a dog named Abby. Little did we know they would be able to pat themselves on the back for the rest of their lives . I am so glad we both agreed to go out for that one date on New Years Eve 2001 because I have had him in my life everyday since that crazy night at my cousin Hollye's back door when he arrived to pick me up to find a baby on my hip that he thought was mine. I remember those beautiful blue eyes and how they about popped out of his head as he stood at the door wondering why no one had mentioned my child. That baby on my hip was Claire. She was 1 then and had just gone number 2 in her diaper right before he rang the bell. She had Styrofoam all over her and me from playing in Christmas boxes. Needless t

All Aboard The Birthday Polar Express

  Can you believe Henry Patton will be 4 years old tomorrow?! Neither can we. We celebrated his birthday last weekend with his first all boy party, polar express style. I had so much fun preparing for it, as you can probably tell! My mother who is never at a loss for words said it looked like Polar Express threw up in my house. She was SO right and we loved it! We had a breakfast pajama party with 7 three and four year old boys. It was such a fun time.   I had his pajamas monogrammed with a train and his name. He loved them and I liked how they sort of looked like the ones on the movie. Henry loved all the bells I had everywhere. There is no doubt we believe at this house. We had the jingle loud and proud!   I had his invitation made from a shop on Etsy and I was very pleased with them. One of his little friends came to the door ready for me to punch his ticket. It was so cute. I ran to get a hole punch and punched it for him. Every good party has to have go

Pedicure Pledge

Just a friendly reminder, it's that time of the year again. Please raise your big toes and repeat after me: As a member of the Sandal Sisterhood, I pledge to follow The Rules when I wear sandals and other open-toe shoes: I promise to always wear sandals that fit. My toes will not hang over and touch the ground, nor will my heels spill over the backs. And the sides and tops of my feet will not pudge out between the straps. I will go polish-free or vow to keep the polish fresh, intact and chip-free. I will not cheat and just touch up my big toe. I will sand down any mounds of skin before they turn hard and yellow. I will shave the hairs off my big toe. I won't wear pantyhose even if my misinformed girlfriend, coworker, mother, sister tells me the toe seam really will stay under my toes if I tuck it there. If a strap breaks, I won't duct-tape, pin, glue or tuck it back in to place hoping it will stay put. I will get my shoe fixed or toss it. No matter how much it hurts. I will