Skip to main content

Turkey Times - Northeast


"How does my turkey look?"
We had a wonderful Thanksgiving at my Aunt Babs house in Memphis. It was Henry's first Thanksgiving. Last year I sat in my chair in my den, wearing pajamas, and Randall brought me food on a TV tray that my dear mother-in-law had brought to us. I was on bed rest, days away from meeting my baby boy for the first time. So crazy to think that sweet baby is already a big ole turkey boy on our hip!




Spending the holiday with my fraternal side of the family was so much fun. Our cousin Hollye is more like a sister to us than a cousin. We are a tight little group. She and I carved the fried turkey and insisted that a photo be taken with the best cut of meat being placed on the platter. I love being with people wired like me. It is so nice to not have to explain yourself, excuse yourself or hide yourself with the ole kin folk...I love that!


I am so thankful for a healthy, happy, active and handsome little boy who lets me dress him up in crazy outfits for every holiday. You may laugh at me but I love it. He will only be able to dress like this for a short window of time before he is called names...so I have to get it in while time allows!



I could not wait to watch the parade with Henry for the first time. We rushed to Hollye's Thanksgiving morning to watch it with she and Claire. It was so fun to watch Henry react to all the colors and music. I loved making that memory at Hollye's. Randall and I met for the first time at Hollye's house. I love that house!



Henry got to play with his Grandaddy. Grandaddy is always making him ride the horsey to town. Henry is not so sure about that horsey just yet! Do you think Henry looks like my Daddy? I think he does sometimes. I will look at Henry when he looks like Daddy and say, "Well hello there Bob S!"


Grandaddy loves his mouth tricks and Henry is quite fond of them too. Henry tries to mimic him. It is cute. My Daddy is a crazy fella and he always makes the kiddos laugh. I am glad they laugh.


Daddy's wife, Connie loved our sweet Henry spending Thanksgiving with her. Henry is pretty fond of her too. She loves our babies like her own. We are blessed to have her in our family.


Hollye let Henry take all the Black Friday ads and rip them up and spread them all over her den floor. It was an incredible, happy mess. He really liked playing at her house on Thanksgiving, of course. Hollye lives across the street from her mama, so it makes visiting them very convenient. Her mama is Aunt Babs, in case you had not put two and two together yet.



Claire is Hollye's daughter, and one of my favorite kiddos. She loves to help me take care of Henry. Claire is not crazy about babies, except for Henry. She says, "oh, he is so cute". I enjoy the help she gives me and I take full advantage of it. I think it would not be good to have an older child because I am pretty sure they would run away from home. Poor Claire gets used and abused, but she says she loves it. We love that sweet girl!


Henry experienced his first Black Friday shopping trip. He was a cute little trooper.


Aunt Babs, Hollye, Claire and I enjoyed shopping with our little reindeer boy. He was sporting the first of many Christmas outfits....of course! I am not sure I will make a habit of shopping on Black Friday with him though. At times it was a little much for him...and his mama!


When we got home from Memphis we had a special surprise visit from Paige. She is Charlie Kate's mama and my dear friend from college. She brought her new boyfriend over to meet us. They were in town visiting his family for the day. We were so excited to see her and let Henry play a farm game on her iPhone.



We had a wonderful Thanksgiving Day and Black Friday. We missed all the other family we did not get to see. We are blessed to have family in lots of places, yet it is impossible to see them all at the holidays. A bittersweet time, for sure. I hope you had a blessed Thanksgiving, had good food, got some hugs, had some laughs, and got some rest!



Abby

Comments

Kelley said…
Henry looks so cute dressed up in all of his outfits! It looks like you all had a ball together! I love the holidays!

Popular posts from this blog

A Blind Date & Leaving Comments

8 years ago today I met this sweet man in the picture above. We met on a blind date in the Bluff City (aka- Memfrica). He and I were simply going out to shut up his stepmother and my sister, who had decided that we were meant to be together from one simple fridge photo and a dog named Abby. Little did we know they would be able to pat themselves on the back for the rest of their lives . I am so glad we both agreed to go out for that one date on New Years Eve 2001 because I have had him in my life everyday since that crazy night at my cousin Hollye's back door when he arrived to pick me up to find a baby on my hip that he thought was mine. I remember those beautiful blue eyes and how they about popped out of his head as he stood at the door wondering why no one had mentioned my child. That baby on my hip was Claire. She was 1 then and had just gone number 2 in her diaper right before he rang the bell. She had Styrofoam all over her and me from playing in Christmas boxes. Needless t

All Aboard The Birthday Polar Express

  Can you believe Henry Patton will be 4 years old tomorrow?! Neither can we. We celebrated his birthday last weekend with his first all boy party, polar express style. I had so much fun preparing for it, as you can probably tell! My mother who is never at a loss for words said it looked like Polar Express threw up in my house. She was SO right and we loved it! We had a breakfast pajama party with 7 three and four year old boys. It was such a fun time.   I had his pajamas monogrammed with a train and his name. He loved them and I liked how they sort of looked like the ones on the movie. Henry loved all the bells I had everywhere. There is no doubt we believe at this house. We had the jingle loud and proud!   I had his invitation made from a shop on Etsy and I was very pleased with them. One of his little friends came to the door ready for me to punch his ticket. It was so cute. I ran to get a hole punch and punched it for him. Every good party has to have go

Pedicure Pledge

Just a friendly reminder, it's that time of the year again. Please raise your big toes and repeat after me: As a member of the Sandal Sisterhood, I pledge to follow The Rules when I wear sandals and other open-toe shoes: I promise to always wear sandals that fit. My toes will not hang over and touch the ground, nor will my heels spill over the backs. And the sides and tops of my feet will not pudge out between the straps. I will go polish-free or vow to keep the polish fresh, intact and chip-free. I will not cheat and just touch up my big toe. I will sand down any mounds of skin before they turn hard and yellow. I will shave the hairs off my big toe. I won't wear pantyhose even if my misinformed girlfriend, coworker, mother, sister tells me the toe seam really will stay under my toes if I tuck it there. If a strap breaks, I won't duct-tape, pin, glue or tuck it back in to place hoping it will stay put. I will get my shoe fixed or toss it. No matter how much it hurts. I will