Skip to main content

As The Tree Spins

A few years back I walked into our Aunt Janet and Uncle Mike's house and saw spinning ornaments on their always beautiful Christmas tree. I was so impressed that Randall and I left their house and headed straight to Hobby Lobby on Christmas Eve and bought all the spinners they had left. I have had spinning ornaments since then and I heart them so very, very much.
I have had them for three years now. I hang my finer ornaments from them. Last year all of Henry's firsts hung from them. It was so special. The spinning ornaments always gather lots of attention from our holiday house guests. It is pretty unusual, I reckon.


This year I am having spinning dilemmas. I know there are bigger issues in this world like war, starving babies, drought, etc., but if you know me, you know my Christmas tree is just about as important...well, to me at least. This will be my first year to have fully decorated trees in both sitting rooms. I say this will all humility, of course. My mother-in-law gave me her artificial tree because she thought this house needed two trees. I am now not sure if that was a blessing or a curse! ha. Figuring out how to decorate the new tree is throwing me for a loop. I thought I had a pretty good plan until I put that tree up yesterday and decorated it.

Yikes...it has been a mess. I thought going a bit sassy and edgy would be fun. I am also not using any of the decor I use on my normal tree. I bought huge big mesh flowers this summer on a clearance rack and a big glitter bow. Well, it did not come together as well as it did that summer day on that clearance rack!
So, my sweet husband comes home last night and says "Why are there big flowers sticking out of that tree in there?"...not exactly the reaction I was going for. Then, my sweet, older sister texts me and asks why I am unhappy with the tree. I tell her about the bow. She then asks me if it is vinyl. I tell her "actually, yes, but it has glitter on it"...she says " That is a mailbox bow!" I am still laughing. So, today I worked with it a bit more and removed the bow. It is what it is.


So, back to the spinners. Ok, they are all on the tree that I put up yesterday. I have decided Henry will probably love a spinning ornament a bit too much, so putting them on the tree he will sit with the least, is best. It is hard to accept that reality, but I am trying to be realistic, despite the frown it gives me when thinking of no spinning ornaments on my old fashioned tree.
The saddest news is this...I went to purchase a few more spinners this year and they are junk! T-total disappointment. I plugged them in to the tree and you can literally hear the tree in the kitchen. A tree should be seen and not heard, don't you think?!
I went to two stores that sell them and they are all made just alike. The ones I bought a few years ago are much more solid looking and there is no sound. The price of making things cheap...I tell ya! Why can't they just leave things alone?!


Do you have spinning ornaments by chance....tell me we are not the only ones?! And if you have 2 trees, how do you keep them different in style without breaking the bank on new decor?


P.S. In case you are wondering why I am decorating so early. Two reasons, I like to enjoy the fruits of my labor as long as possible and I have two parties in my house the week after Thanksgiving. Randall is a good man...that is all I am saying!

I am thankful for the ability to decorate, the resources to do it, the husband who allows me to drive him batty about it and the encouragement I get from my friends and family.



Abby

Comments

Amanda M. said…
I am SOOOOO intrigued. I do not think I know what spinners are and I MOST DEFINITELY DO think I want some. But then I don't want noisy ones! Darn! I am going to have to go look for some that are silent. :) Can you post up close pics? I am so interested in these!
Kelley said…
I don't know what a spinner is, but I need one, ha! I have a couple of trees in my house. Only one really big one. It has traditional ornaments on it. I have another one that is strictly Razorback. MK has one in her room. I used old baby toys to decorate it with. Pretty cute. Now I have to think about one for Mady. Fair is fair, right? Sometimes Cracker Barrel has ornaments on sale. I lurve Hobby Lobby. Have you tried ETSY?
Anonymous said…
Looks good, Ab!

Melissa

Popular posts from this blog

A Blind Date & Leaving Comments

8 years ago today I met this sweet man in the picture above. We met on a blind date in the Bluff City (aka- Memfrica). He and I were simply going out to shut up his stepmother and my sister, who had decided that we were meant to be together from one simple fridge photo and a dog named Abby. Little did we know they would be able to pat themselves on the back for the rest of their lives . I am so glad we both agreed to go out for that one date on New Years Eve 2001 because I have had him in my life everyday since that crazy night at my cousin Hollye's back door when he arrived to pick me up to find a baby on my hip that he thought was mine. I remember those beautiful blue eyes and how they about popped out of his head as he stood at the door wondering why no one had mentioned my child. That baby on my hip was Claire. She was 1 then and had just gone number 2 in her diaper right before he rang the bell. She had Styrofoam all over her and me from playing in Christmas boxes. Needless t

All Aboard The Birthday Polar Express

  Can you believe Henry Patton will be 4 years old tomorrow?! Neither can we. We celebrated his birthday last weekend with his first all boy party, polar express style. I had so much fun preparing for it, as you can probably tell! My mother who is never at a loss for words said it looked like Polar Express threw up in my house. She was SO right and we loved it! We had a breakfast pajama party with 7 three and four year old boys. It was such a fun time.   I had his pajamas monogrammed with a train and his name. He loved them and I liked how they sort of looked like the ones on the movie. Henry loved all the bells I had everywhere. There is no doubt we believe at this house. We had the jingle loud and proud!   I had his invitation made from a shop on Etsy and I was very pleased with them. One of his little friends came to the door ready for me to punch his ticket. It was so cute. I ran to get a hole punch and punched it for him. Every good party has to have go

Pedicure Pledge

Just a friendly reminder, it's that time of the year again. Please raise your big toes and repeat after me: As a member of the Sandal Sisterhood, I pledge to follow The Rules when I wear sandals and other open-toe shoes: I promise to always wear sandals that fit. My toes will not hang over and touch the ground, nor will my heels spill over the backs. And the sides and tops of my feet will not pudge out between the straps. I will go polish-free or vow to keep the polish fresh, intact and chip-free. I will not cheat and just touch up my big toe. I will sand down any mounds of skin before they turn hard and yellow. I will shave the hairs off my big toe. I won't wear pantyhose even if my misinformed girlfriend, coworker, mother, sister tells me the toe seam really will stay under my toes if I tuck it there. If a strap breaks, I won't duct-tape, pin, glue or tuck it back in to place hoping it will stay put. I will get my shoe fixed or toss it. No matter how much it hurts. I will