Skip to main content

Telling Mama & Julie

Friday - April 10, 2009
Today I decided I had to tell Mama and Julie. I wanted to wait until I went to the doctor and tell them on Mother's Day. I then decided there was no way possible I could keep something like this quiet for a month! I spent all morning thinking of a creative way to tell them I was having a baby. After much thought, I ordered a cookie cake from Harp's for Mama.

I called Harp's bakery and told the lady my situation. She was so sweet and excited for me. I told her to make the cookie cake babyish and to put "It is time to make that stocking, Marmie" on it. I asked her to have it ready at lunch time. I then called Mama and told her I had ordered a cake for her for Easter. I think she thought that was sort of odd, but she was thankful. I told her it had to be picked up by 1:00. I waited, paced, and tapped my toes until she called at 12:52. I walked out of a meeting to take the call. I answered and she said "Oh, Abby!!!" with tears in her eyes and much excitement in her voice. The bakery took pictures of her reaction, posing with the cookie cake and then one of the cookie cake by itself. She was the most popular customer that week. She went to the pharmacy at Harp's a few days later and they all knew about the cookie cake. So fun. She took her cookie cake to work that day and showed it off and then she took it to Little Rock for Easter and shared it with Aunt Suzy. I can't wait to see the Christmas stocking she is making Baby L!

Telling Julie:
For Julie, I had to enlist the help of Stephen. I called him in his study at church. I think he was alarmed to hear my voice on the other line. He was excited to hear my news and more than willing to help me. The man loves babies and longs to be an uncle. His dreams were coming true over the phone. He went to Dollar General and bought a "mother" card. He crossed out the "mother" and put "aunt" in its place. He then signed it, "I can't wait to meet you Aunt Juju - Love, Baby L". He did all this within the same half hour I had called him. The man was excited!
Julie called me. She was crying and so excited and the kids were in the background screaming, "We're going to be cousins" and "Aunt Abby is having a baby!" It was so fun to hear all of that on the other line. So cute. I am so glad Julie will finally know what aunthood is like. She will love it.

Julie then sent me this email later in the day - So sweet:
"I can't tell you how excited I am for you. I know you have wanted this and have been praying for this for so long now. I am praying for this little thing. That it will be healthy and happy.I am praying for you. That you will be well, strong, patient, and a wise parent.I am praying for Randall. That he will be kind, supportive, relaxed, and a wise parent. I am praying for me. That I will get to move into your upstairs room.I am praying for my children. That they won't miss me too bad when I move to take care of the baby.You are going to be a great pregnant girl. I can't wait to see the pictures of you holding a weekly sign with your pregnant belly. I can't wait to see you in your cute maternity clothes.I can't wait to hear you call me and tell me you felt that first flutter. I can't wait to see you in the hospital, the same hospital where my boys were born, holding your little baby. I can't wait to see you as a mom. You are going to be a great mom!AND I'M GOING TO BE AN AUNT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"


Abby

Comments

Stephanie said…
Tears streaming down my face as I read! Congrats to the first time Mommy and Daddy and first time Aunt and Uncle. This baby doesn't know how lucky it is to be being born into your family!
I LOVE the picture of your mom. Totally priceless.
hsmomma said…
I love this! Such creative ways to tell the news....

I have to say that here in Southeast AR, you would never have been able to pull off the bakery thing. They would have looked at you like you had two heads and the cookie cake would have inevitably had some kind of error on it....lol. And pictures, how sweet of them! Nope, you couldn't have pulled it off around here!
Trish said…
That was PRICELESS! I am tearing up just reading it. Congrats Abby!

Popular posts from this blog

A Blind Date & Leaving Comments

8 years ago today I met this sweet man in the picture above. We met on a blind date in the Bluff City (aka- Memfrica). He and I were simply going out to shut up his stepmother and my sister, who had decided that we were meant to be together from one simple fridge photo and a dog named Abby. Little did we know they would be able to pat themselves on the back for the rest of their lives . I am so glad we both agreed to go out for that one date on New Years Eve 2001 because I have had him in my life everyday since that crazy night at my cousin Hollye's back door when he arrived to pick me up to find a baby on my hip that he thought was mine. I remember those beautiful blue eyes and how they about popped out of his head as he stood at the door wondering why no one had mentioned my child. That baby on my hip was Claire. She was 1 then and had just gone number 2 in her diaper right before he rang the bell. She had Styrofoam all over her and me from playing in Christmas boxes. Needless t

All Aboard The Birthday Polar Express

  Can you believe Henry Patton will be 4 years old tomorrow?! Neither can we. We celebrated his birthday last weekend with his first all boy party, polar express style. I had so much fun preparing for it, as you can probably tell! My mother who is never at a loss for words said it looked like Polar Express threw up in my house. She was SO right and we loved it! We had a breakfast pajama party with 7 three and four year old boys. It was such a fun time.   I had his pajamas monogrammed with a train and his name. He loved them and I liked how they sort of looked like the ones on the movie. Henry loved all the bells I had everywhere. There is no doubt we believe at this house. We had the jingle loud and proud!   I had his invitation made from a shop on Etsy and I was very pleased with them. One of his little friends came to the door ready for me to punch his ticket. It was so cute. I ran to get a hole punch and punched it for him. Every good party has to have go

Pedicure Pledge

Just a friendly reminder, it's that time of the year again. Please raise your big toes and repeat after me: As a member of the Sandal Sisterhood, I pledge to follow The Rules when I wear sandals and other open-toe shoes: I promise to always wear sandals that fit. My toes will not hang over and touch the ground, nor will my heels spill over the backs. And the sides and tops of my feet will not pudge out between the straps. I will go polish-free or vow to keep the polish fresh, intact and chip-free. I will not cheat and just touch up my big toe. I will sand down any mounds of skin before they turn hard and yellow. I will shave the hairs off my big toe. I won't wear pantyhose even if my misinformed girlfriend, coworker, mother, sister tells me the toe seam really will stay under my toes if I tuck it there. If a strap breaks, I won't duct-tape, pin, glue or tuck it back in to place hoping it will stay put. I will get my shoe fixed or toss it. No matter how much it hurts. I will