Skip to main content

A Few Christmas Favorites

Of course, Jesus is my most favorite thing about Christmas. Without Him we would have no Christmas and in turn, no joy. I am thankful that the following things bring me joy because of His gift to us.
I jump for joy over Christmas cards. If you receive my card, you know this about me! I send out about 115 photo cards with a letter each year. I in turn love receiving them from my friends and family. I have them on my memo board in my kitchen this year and love it. I think this will be my new display place for them.

The tree. I adore the tree and ornaments that go on the tree. All mine tell a story and I love that. I have worked hard to make it tell a beautiful story. We buy ornaments on all our trips, big events, milestones and we buy one for each other every Christmas. This year Henry had 7 ornaments on our tree and we had 3 new family ornaments on our tree. I love how our story is growing. I in turn buy ornaments for all the kids in our family and my BFF's kids. I want them to have a tree that tells a story about Abby Jo loving them to pieces!



The chocolate advent calendar is a must for December. I can only remember one Christmas without one and it was sad. They can be really hard to find. One year the only one Mama could find had tinker toys in it. She was on Santa's bad list, for sure! Julie and I hated that year. Each year one of us buys them up after Christmas and stocks them in our freezer until it is time and then we give them out. This year Mama, Julie and I failed to buy any for our freezer. We were in a panic trying to find them and Mama found them at Walgreens on Dec 1st. She delivered mine to me at the hospital on Dec 2nd and Julie's kids got to open theirs on Dec 3rd. We heart this tradition, as you can see. (By the way...who is buying them and freezing them this year?)


Homemade goodies make me smile. I love making them, gifting them and eating them. Randall and I started making candy the year we got married. We look forward to it every year. We sing songs, laugh and make a huge mess. Having Henry in the kitchen with us from now on is going to make it so much more fun. (yes, this picture is sideways, but again...I am on low sleep and in a hurry. I am the mother of a fussy but cute infant.)


Cooking with loved ones in the kitchen at Christmas is so fun. Our traditions are centered around food, so the kitchen is a hot spot at Christmas in our family. This year we all made the same food even though we were all in our own places. I love that we all love tradition and want to keep it alive for the next generation.


Stockings are a must at Christmas. I have posted about our stocking tradition before when I posted the stocking my Mama made for Henry. My Granny made mine when I was a baby. She made one for everyone new in the family until she passed away. In keeping with tradition, I made Randall's and my Mama is now making all the stockings for the babies born in our family. Granny beams from heaven when we hang them up each year.


"Christmas Eve Gift" is an odd tradition on my mother's side of the family. We all celebrate it by greeting each other on the 24th with " Christmas Eve Gift" instead of "Hello". We then give each other a small gift at that time. This picture shows the Christmas Eve Gifts I received this year. The plaque is from Henry (aka- Randall) and the rest is from my Mama.


As a child we always gave Santa my Granny's homemade goodies. He loved us for it. I know Santa will love us putting our own homemade goodies on his plate as we start this tradition over in our home with Henry. Granny would be so proud.

Watching the wonder as my baby sees Christmas for the first time will always be one of my most favorite things that I will cherish. Having a child at Christmas will now become one of my most favorite things.

What are some of your favorite things about Christmas?

Abby

Comments

Kelley said…
We usually get together and exchange gifts on Christmas Eve. We have ham, sides, and desserts. We tell funny stories on each other. We used to have a talent show. We are not all talented, which made it even better and oh so funny. We have changed our traditions a bit because of the loss of my brother. My parents are missing him so much that they wanted to do things a little different. I can't blame them.

Popular posts from this blog

A Blind Date & Leaving Comments

8 years ago today I met this sweet man in the picture above. We met on a blind date in the Bluff City (aka- Memfrica). He and I were simply going out to shut up his stepmother and my sister, who had decided that we were meant to be together from one simple fridge photo and a dog named Abby. Little did we know they would be able to pat themselves on the back for the rest of their lives . I am so glad we both agreed to go out for that one date on New Years Eve 2001 because I have had him in my life everyday since that crazy night at my cousin Hollye's back door when he arrived to pick me up to find a baby on my hip that he thought was mine. I remember those beautiful blue eyes and how they about popped out of his head as he stood at the door wondering why no one had mentioned my child. That baby on my hip was Claire. She was 1 then and had just gone number 2 in her diaper right before he rang the bell. She had Styrofoam all over her and me from playing in Christmas boxes. Needless t

All Aboard The Birthday Polar Express

  Can you believe Henry Patton will be 4 years old tomorrow?! Neither can we. We celebrated his birthday last weekend with his first all boy party, polar express style. I had so much fun preparing for it, as you can probably tell! My mother who is never at a loss for words said it looked like Polar Express threw up in my house. She was SO right and we loved it! We had a breakfast pajama party with 7 three and four year old boys. It was such a fun time.   I had his pajamas monogrammed with a train and his name. He loved them and I liked how they sort of looked like the ones on the movie. Henry loved all the bells I had everywhere. There is no doubt we believe at this house. We had the jingle loud and proud!   I had his invitation made from a shop on Etsy and I was very pleased with them. One of his little friends came to the door ready for me to punch his ticket. It was so cute. I ran to get a hole punch and punched it for him. Every good party has to have go

Pedicure Pledge

Just a friendly reminder, it's that time of the year again. Please raise your big toes and repeat after me: As a member of the Sandal Sisterhood, I pledge to follow The Rules when I wear sandals and other open-toe shoes: I promise to always wear sandals that fit. My toes will not hang over and touch the ground, nor will my heels spill over the backs. And the sides and tops of my feet will not pudge out between the straps. I will go polish-free or vow to keep the polish fresh, intact and chip-free. I will not cheat and just touch up my big toe. I will sand down any mounds of skin before they turn hard and yellow. I will shave the hairs off my big toe. I won't wear pantyhose even if my misinformed girlfriend, coworker, mother, sister tells me the toe seam really will stay under my toes if I tuck it there. If a strap breaks, I won't duct-tape, pin, glue or tuck it back in to place hoping it will stay put. I will get my shoe fixed or toss it. No matter how much it hurts. I will