Skip to main content

The Most Overused Hashtag Of 2017


https://www.facebook.com/groups/lifewithmysister/?ref=bookmarks

What a time of reflection the new year brings to us. "Bye, Felicia" was the most overused hastag and witty comeback I have ever typed with my short little fingertips. I don't know Felicia, but that poor girl needs a welcome basket or a party invitation in 2018.
Every 365 days we get a do over. A cold, brisk try again awaits us as the calendar strikes day one. I am quite fond of this slow and cold time of year. It is when I met and fell in love with my husband. I love the newness and stillness that comes with the brand new year. As wild as it sounds, winter is my favorite time of year.
You know, some years are just plain crazier than others and 2017 was every bit of that. It was my best professional year ever and one of my worst on a personal level. I just plain bombed life as mom and wife. Taking on too many good things that were not my best yes caused me to stink up my reign as queen bee of the Lee 3.
I can blame it on a lot of distraction and things not fitting into my plan just like I wanted. Finding out the struggles Henry has in the classroom that went undetected by a therapist we trusted and paid for two years just flat railroaded me in so many ways. Trusting someone to "fix" your baby to find out they were missing it by a mile while billing you for it too is not easy to accept.  Bitterness, anger and impatience flooded my heart. I went into fix it mode and mowed down anyone in my path in order to get Henry "fixed". My sweet boy has come a long way because of my fierce fight but I left a lot of ugly in my path. I resolve to always be his advocate and cheerleader  but hopefully we can master that without the ugly mama rearing her ugly head.
My husband is a saint. If you know him at all you know he has an exterior that makes him appear shy or even callous to some...but he is honestly like a cup of jello or like the Pillsbury dough boy. He is all heart and like Vanilla Ice, if there is a problem, he will solve it! I would not have made it out of 2017 with the successes I had if it were not for him pushing me to be better and picking up the debris of my tornado of a year.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/lifewithmysister/?ref=bookmarks

This year is going to be my new lease on life. I have cut out the things that bogged me down and robbed my joy and stole my time away from what really matters. I wont be selling anything but real estate (because I am actually really good at it and shouldn't dilute it), I won't be volunteering for things that rob me from my first priorities (even if that is beloved church activities that I fear no one else will say yes to if I don't), and you won't see me pushing my child to do things that fit the mold society has set for him just so "we" fit in.
My home is my mission field, my biggest blessing and my top priority. Saying yes to all the good things is not always the right thing. I have read every book about this topic and end up ignoring what I learn, even though it is always right on the tip of my heart nudging at me. This is my do over, my clean slate, my 365 days to focus on what really matters at the end of this life.
 I will stop the work flow to play trucks with my boy. I will turn off my phone to watch another episode of Blue Bloods with my honey. I will stop and answer the phone when my sister calls and not give her the shadey button. I will laugh more than I complain. I will make my home and my heart a refuge for those entrusted to me.
Now, tomorrow I will wake up and have to be reminded of all this because, just like you, I am all flesh and have to put on that FULL armor of God every dadgum day! If you see me without my shield of faith...come help a sister out!

Abby Jo

Comments

Sisters said…
join us on Facebook for more witty insights and encouragement
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lifewithmysister/?ref=bookmarks

Popular posts from this blog

A Blind Date & Leaving Comments

8 years ago today I met this sweet man in the picture above. We met on a blind date in the Bluff City (aka- Memfrica). He and I were simply going out to shut up his stepmother and my sister, who had decided that we were meant to be together from one simple fridge photo and a dog named Abby. Little did we know they would be able to pat themselves on the back for the rest of their lives . I am so glad we both agreed to go out for that one date on New Years Eve 2001 because I have had him in my life everyday since that crazy night at my cousin Hollye's back door when he arrived to pick me up to find a baby on my hip that he thought was mine. I remember those beautiful blue eyes and how they about popped out of his head as he stood at the door wondering why no one had mentioned my child. That baby on my hip was Claire. She was 1 then and had just gone number 2 in her diaper right before he rang the bell. She had Styrofoam all over her and me from playing in Christmas boxes. Needless t

All Aboard The Birthday Polar Express

  Can you believe Henry Patton will be 4 years old tomorrow?! Neither can we. We celebrated his birthday last weekend with his first all boy party, polar express style. I had so much fun preparing for it, as you can probably tell! My mother who is never at a loss for words said it looked like Polar Express threw up in my house. She was SO right and we loved it! We had a breakfast pajama party with 7 three and four year old boys. It was such a fun time.   I had his pajamas monogrammed with a train and his name. He loved them and I liked how they sort of looked like the ones on the movie. Henry loved all the bells I had everywhere. There is no doubt we believe at this house. We had the jingle loud and proud!   I had his invitation made from a shop on Etsy and I was very pleased with them. One of his little friends came to the door ready for me to punch his ticket. It was so cute. I ran to get a hole punch and punched it for him. Every good party has to have go

Scavenger Hunt Answers

I know this is more than just my blog. But today I am going to hijack it to play in a scavenger hunt with the preachers wife and her friends. I'm going to answer some questions and hope to win!!!!!!! The Treasures 1. My name is Julie. I also go by Jules, Julia, Ju , and I will soon be called JuJu by Henry, my nephew to be! 2. I live in Arkansas and always have but have only lived in Lincoln county for three years. 3. My wonderful hubby is the Pastor of our church. How about that for a lofty title! 4. I have already answered this question in #2, but we have been at this church for three years (well, three years and 15 days!) 5. Yes, I have children. The lights of my life, the laughter in my soul, the stealers of my sanity are Samuel who is 12, David who is 8, Daniel who is 8, and Anna Kathryn who is 5. 6. We have been married for 16 years, and have lived in seven different houses. Not bad for being in the ministry! But have served at 2 churches for 5 years each! 7. I cook Sunday