Skip to main content

I love when my child can see answers to his prayers.




 This boy. Oh, this boy. He has a purpose far greater than we realize and I cannot wait to see what God has mapped out for him. It will be anything but boring. Henry is all boy yet more perceptive than anyone I know and with that comes intense awareness of others feelings. He carries others burdens in a way I wish I could bottle up and pour into my own heart some days. He isn't worried like we worry, he is just concerned and hopeful with sweet innocence. It is a beautiful gift he has.
Bath time is a big time of reflection for him. I hear a lot about friends at school and their days during his baths. I am pretty certain these friends have no idea how Henry has grasped onto their day and that he is thinking of them and praying through anything that he picked up as a concern during the day. It makes me laugh sometimes and sometimes it brings me to tears. I wish I could be the type of friend Henry is.


He had a foster kid at his school leave and come back and the sadness and joy that came with that was something I cannot even express in full. His pure joy to get in the car after school a few weeks ago to yell mama " he's back! he's back!" He is being adopted by a family at his school and it's such a joy to see. Henry prayed for him often and grieved him. I did too. I love when my child can see answers to his prayers. 

 He is not ever first pick, he is not the best in anything by the world's standards. He is not invited to parties or play dates often. His circle is big but small, if that makes sense. We like it that way sometimes because we realize what all it is protecting him from in the long run. His physical size does not match his insides. He is a big ole teddy bear. He doesn't make honor roll. He always has a perfect grade in conduct though and that is telling of more than anything else he can do at school. His only A is in conduct. It makes me smile. The thing is, he  knows all the answers to the school work usually but he can't get it on paper. He is smarter than people realize due to his fine motor and upper body hurdles he jumps all day.


But this boy of mine has such an excitement and confidence that amuses us at times. We expect him to bow out or resist certain things due to not knowing anyone there, or seeing others doing it really well, etc.... but then there he is on the basketball court making all the baskets and guarding the net like Shaq when he hasn't even been playing that sport. The boys are all yelling "pass it to Henry!" and I am the mom that yells and claps at practice while the other moms look at me like I must have vodka in my Sonic cup. We stand in awe alot at this boy... and ourselves.
 
 He knows the make and model of every truck on the road and can usually tell the tire size by glancing at them. I feel like I'm raising Rain Man sometimes. Henry knows all the books of the Bible and the apostles and the fruits of the spirit. He is busy and he is bright and he is bold. I hope he uses all this for good as he matures and makes more decisions on his own. Last night he told me he likes a girl in his class and he wants to get her a Valentine gift. He said they smile at each other and he has "love dreams" about her. God, help me! for real...I almost passed out and needed fresh air. Isn't he still an infant reaching for me to hold him?



I have not been able to pick him up in about 3+ years. He sits in my lap and it is like having an adult sit on me. He is still a big baby though and I am soaking up every innocent day we have left. Time moves too fast. Henry's laughter is contagious and I hope it stays that way forever. Being kind and laughing all the way is the only way to do this life. If that's all he scores a 100 on, then so be it!

Abby Jo

Comments

His Doorkeeper said…
Always felt Henry is a special child and the Lord is and will be doing a great work in Henry’s life because after all, God is the one who gave him that sweet and loving heart!

Popular posts from this blog

A Blind Date & Leaving Comments

8 years ago today I met this sweet man in the picture above. We met on a blind date in the Bluff City (aka- Memfrica). He and I were simply going out to shut up his stepmother and my sister, who had decided that we were meant to be together from one simple fridge photo and a dog named Abby. Little did we know they would be able to pat themselves on the back for the rest of their lives . I am so glad we both agreed to go out for that one date on New Years Eve 2001 because I have had him in my life everyday since that crazy night at my cousin Hollye's back door when he arrived to pick me up to find a baby on my hip that he thought was mine. I remember those beautiful blue eyes and how they about popped out of his head as he stood at the door wondering why no one had mentioned my child. That baby on my hip was Claire. She was 1 then and had just gone number 2 in her diaper right before he rang the bell. She had Styrofoam all over her and me from playing in Christmas boxes. Needless t

All Aboard The Birthday Polar Express

  Can you believe Henry Patton will be 4 years old tomorrow?! Neither can we. We celebrated his birthday last weekend with his first all boy party, polar express style. I had so much fun preparing for it, as you can probably tell! My mother who is never at a loss for words said it looked like Polar Express threw up in my house. She was SO right and we loved it! We had a breakfast pajama party with 7 three and four year old boys. It was such a fun time.   I had his pajamas monogrammed with a train and his name. He loved them and I liked how they sort of looked like the ones on the movie. Henry loved all the bells I had everywhere. There is no doubt we believe at this house. We had the jingle loud and proud!   I had his invitation made from a shop on Etsy and I was very pleased with them. One of his little friends came to the door ready for me to punch his ticket. It was so cute. I ran to get a hole punch and punched it for him. Every good party has to have go

Scavenger Hunt Answers

I know this is more than just my blog. But today I am going to hijack it to play in a scavenger hunt with the preachers wife and her friends. I'm going to answer some questions and hope to win!!!!!!! The Treasures 1. My name is Julie. I also go by Jules, Julia, Ju , and I will soon be called JuJu by Henry, my nephew to be! 2. I live in Arkansas and always have but have only lived in Lincoln county for three years. 3. My wonderful hubby is the Pastor of our church. How about that for a lofty title! 4. I have already answered this question in #2, but we have been at this church for three years (well, three years and 15 days!) 5. Yes, I have children. The lights of my life, the laughter in my soul, the stealers of my sanity are Samuel who is 12, David who is 8, Daniel who is 8, and Anna Kathryn who is 5. 6. We have been married for 16 years, and have lived in seven different houses. Not bad for being in the ministry! But have served at 2 churches for 5 years each! 7. I cook Sunday