Skip to main content

Celebrating Another Year Together

12 years ago we celebrated my 25th birthday at the lake as newlyweds with our new newlywed friends, Mandy and Charlie. She made me a monkey bread birthday cake full of candles. 

She also made me a birhday breakfast feast and I knew I'd be friends with her forever. We had fun that weekend thinking we were on top of the world and big stuff with all four of us finally using our degrees in good jobs. We were so young and carefree. Such simple days. 

We rode the jet ski on my birthday and laughed all day. If only I could get those arms back that I thought were fat back then. If only. I've held my baby with those arms since then and done a lot of reaching and digging to get where I am today, so I'll accept what they look like now, I reckon. 



By my 26th we were celebrating in our newly built home and had added another couple to our group. Mandy and Charlie had also just purchased their first home. We were growing up a lot that year and super excited about it. I had the best homemade cake with the cutest candles and friends standing with me in my new red kitchen. 

  
The years have come and gone and Mandy and Charlie moved away and we moved away. All those sweet times as newlyweds were distant memories we held close in our hearts and often remembered with a smile or laugh. Then last year God moved them back to north Mississippi. They have had two children and we have had one. We live 90 minutes from each other, with Memphis as an even quicker meeting point. It's simply the best! 
So, Mandy had us over for my "birthday eve" and she made me a beautiful angel food cake and a wonderful meal to celebrate my 37th. 


Laughing with Mandy is my favorite. It's like we have gained all those years back and we have met each other right where we are. She and her crew came after my thyroid surgery in the spring and helped care for me and cook and distract me for a couple days. That meant so much to me. We all four sat in the den and watched our favorite movie together after all those years and laughed so hard until my incision hurt. God has blessed me with many precious friends. I'm glad he saw fit to bring this girl back to me to cook for me again. She can do it up in the kitchen and we laugh so hard. Laughing is my favorite. My birthday has been special for many of my adult years because of Mandy. 


Yet I have to say my most memorable birthday as an adult was this one. My 24th and my favorite cake made by my other sister, my cousin Hollye. I lived in Memphis with my aunt and uncle as a new college graduate and a girl lucky in love. This birthday held suprises I only wished would come true...and this tiny little cutie in the corner helping me blow out that trick candle. They all knew and I had no idea when this picture was taken that things were about to get real...


13 yrs ago I turned 24 and my first and only love proposed to me with a light up ring box with the perfect platinum marquis inside, along with his proposal written in this engagement journal. This trumps every birthday before this and after. I landed the best gift in him. 
I am one blessed birthday girl. 

Abby Jo 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Blind Date & Leaving Comments

8 years ago today I met this sweet man in the picture above. We met on a blind date in the Bluff City (aka- Memfrica). He and I were simply going out to shut up his stepmother and my sister, who had decided that we were meant to be together from one simple fridge photo and a dog named Abby. Little did we know they would be able to pat themselves on the back for the rest of their lives . I am so glad we both agreed to go out for that one date on New Years Eve 2001 because I have had him in my life everyday since that crazy night at my cousin Hollye's back door when he arrived to pick me up to find a baby on my hip that he thought was mine. I remember those beautiful blue eyes and how they about popped out of his head as he stood at the door wondering why no one had mentioned my child. That baby on my hip was Claire. She was 1 then and had just gone number 2 in her diaper right before he rang the bell. She had Styrofoam all over her and me from playing in Christmas boxes. Needless t

All Aboard The Birthday Polar Express

  Can you believe Henry Patton will be 4 years old tomorrow?! Neither can we. We celebrated his birthday last weekend with his first all boy party, polar express style. I had so much fun preparing for it, as you can probably tell! My mother who is never at a loss for words said it looked like Polar Express threw up in my house. She was SO right and we loved it! We had a breakfast pajama party with 7 three and four year old boys. It was such a fun time.   I had his pajamas monogrammed with a train and his name. He loved them and I liked how they sort of looked like the ones on the movie. Henry loved all the bells I had everywhere. There is no doubt we believe at this house. We had the jingle loud and proud!   I had his invitation made from a shop on Etsy and I was very pleased with them. One of his little friends came to the door ready for me to punch his ticket. It was so cute. I ran to get a hole punch and punched it for him. Every good party has to have go

Scavenger Hunt Answers

I know this is more than just my blog. But today I am going to hijack it to play in a scavenger hunt with the preachers wife and her friends. I'm going to answer some questions and hope to win!!!!!!! The Treasures 1. My name is Julie. I also go by Jules, Julia, Ju , and I will soon be called JuJu by Henry, my nephew to be! 2. I live in Arkansas and always have but have only lived in Lincoln county for three years. 3. My wonderful hubby is the Pastor of our church. How about that for a lofty title! 4. I have already answered this question in #2, but we have been at this church for three years (well, three years and 15 days!) 5. Yes, I have children. The lights of my life, the laughter in my soul, the stealers of my sanity are Samuel who is 12, David who is 8, Daniel who is 8, and Anna Kathryn who is 5. 6. We have been married for 16 years, and have lived in seven different houses. Not bad for being in the ministry! But have served at 2 churches for 5 years each! 7. I cook Sunday