Skip to main content

It Is Well With Me



I thought I would write about my surgery for anyone who reads this that might wonder what the scar was from in my Mother's Day post. The photo above is from the day before my surgery in the snow with my guys. It's the last shot of my neck without a scar. 



This was about 24 hours after the previous snow photo. I was half a thyroid less and looking mighty fine. I was so glad to wake up and hear my mama and husband tell me it was not cancer  and the surgeon left half of it, which means no daily meds. I was prepared for the worst and ready to tackle it head on, but I was so grateful to not have to in the end. The recovery was painful but my generous support system made it bearable. We did not cook a meal for 7 days because our friends rock at reaching out in times of need. We had so much we invited friends over to help us eat it all. My mom came to sit with me a few days and my mil took Henry home for a few days. It was nice to recoup without responsibility. 


I wore a scarf for a week or two because my wound was open and it was a bit gross to look at. I told Randall I felt like Mama June (honey boo boos mom) with my neck oozing stuff time to time and not being able to clean it out real good at first . So Gross but funny. 
I would sit on the couch as much as I could because lying flat was torture for about 3 weeks. It was unreal to think that this little surgery could affect one so much physically. The above picture was taken the day after I got home from the hospital. 



I now just go about life normally. People notice the scar. I wear necklaces over it now but I don't try to hide it. It's life and will be for about 2 years until it fades. People amaze me though. Total strangers (and usually men )will stop me randomly and ask what happened to my neck. I also get the concerned question from  time to time in a shameful low tone, "oh, thyroid?" And I am told how good or bad it looks and how they have a friend who had it done in 1998 etc, blah blah.  I want to answer with something wild to catch them off guard but I'm just too honest and nice. 

My thyroid nodules were discovered through a chest CT that was done because my annual monogram read odd. I am so grateful for modern technology, healthcare and a Savior that carried me through it all.  I found out about it and had the surgery within a few weeks time. 


This link is to the song that was my anthem during this unnerving time of waiting and then having it removed. A sweet friend sent it to me one night and it was perfect. My little Henry knows the chorus well. He listened with me and dried a few tears for me as I processed the situation prior to surgery. I am as good as gold now. Henry asks me everyday when the scar will go away and tells me he doesn't like it. He's a funny guy. 


Randall took  Henry to the hospital gift shop to buy me a little happy. Randall got persuaded into buying me  "Stuffie" . I held on to the neck of that thing my entire hospital say. It was comforting. All in all, this surgery was just a little hiccup in our life and for that we are most grateful! 

Abby Jo


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Blind Date & Leaving Comments

8 years ago today I met this sweet man in the picture above. We met on a blind date in the Bluff City (aka- Memfrica). He and I were simply going out to shut up his stepmother and my sister, who had decided that we were meant to be together from one simple fridge photo and a dog named Abby. Little did we know they would be able to pat themselves on the back for the rest of their lives . I am so glad we both agreed to go out for that one date on New Years Eve 2001 because I have had him in my life everyday since that crazy night at my cousin Hollye's back door when he arrived to pick me up to find a baby on my hip that he thought was mine. I remember those beautiful blue eyes and how they about popped out of his head as he stood at the door wondering why no one had mentioned my child. That baby on my hip was Claire. She was 1 then and had just gone number 2 in her diaper right before he rang the bell. She had Styrofoam all over her and me from playing in Christmas boxes. Needless t

All Aboard The Birthday Polar Express

  Can you believe Henry Patton will be 4 years old tomorrow?! Neither can we. We celebrated his birthday last weekend with his first all boy party, polar express style. I had so much fun preparing for it, as you can probably tell! My mother who is never at a loss for words said it looked like Polar Express threw up in my house. She was SO right and we loved it! We had a breakfast pajama party with 7 three and four year old boys. It was such a fun time.   I had his pajamas monogrammed with a train and his name. He loved them and I liked how they sort of looked like the ones on the movie. Henry loved all the bells I had everywhere. There is no doubt we believe at this house. We had the jingle loud and proud!   I had his invitation made from a shop on Etsy and I was very pleased with them. One of his little friends came to the door ready for me to punch his ticket. It was so cute. I ran to get a hole punch and punched it for him. Every good party has to have go

Pedicure Pledge

Just a friendly reminder, it's that time of the year again. Please raise your big toes and repeat after me: As a member of the Sandal Sisterhood, I pledge to follow The Rules when I wear sandals and other open-toe shoes: I promise to always wear sandals that fit. My toes will not hang over and touch the ground, nor will my heels spill over the backs. And the sides and tops of my feet will not pudge out between the straps. I will go polish-free or vow to keep the polish fresh, intact and chip-free. I will not cheat and just touch up my big toe. I will sand down any mounds of skin before they turn hard and yellow. I will shave the hairs off my big toe. I won't wear pantyhose even if my misinformed girlfriend, coworker, mother, sister tells me the toe seam really will stay under my toes if I tuck it there. If a strap breaks, I won't duct-tape, pin, glue or tuck it back in to place hoping it will stay put. I will get my shoe fixed or toss it. No matter how much it hurts. I will