Skip to main content

Turning North in High Heels



"You have circled this mountain long enough. Now turn north." Deuteronomy 2:3. I love this verse. I discovered it in a book I was reading one morning in May before a job interview. I wrote it on a note card and put it in my car. I glanced down at it on my way to the interview and laughed because I realized I was headed north of town. Well, I am now employed by that company and recite this verse with much praise to God's amazing provision for me. It sums up the last year of my life so beautifully. I am excited about putting my high heels back on and stepping up!



I quit my job last June 15th. It was a sticky situation. I felt it was best I leave and find another job that I could feel good about it and not "icky" every day as I was forced to make decisions I did not agree with. I have learned in my short career that looking like you have it all together does not mean you do and lots of warts and scars come from wearing that mask. I decided to flee that path in life because there is not enough Oil of Olay to cure the mess that mask can leave on a girl!



So, 54 weeks later I have a new job. It has been an interesting year. One that has brought many laughs and many tears. Being home with Henry more in his first year of life was a true blessing and one that I will cherish in my heart always. Reaching out and finding new circles of friends has been a great gift this past year. Feeling like "me" again has also been a relief. Discovering J'Town as Abby Jo and not who I was asked to be in my job has been so refreshing. I think I like it here after all! It is still an odd place if you are a transplant and not a native, but it is not that bad now that I see it through new eyes and a refreshed heart. What a journey and what a trail of memories!



The job I will start this next week is proof that God's provision is great and we cannot predict his moves no matter how much we try. I thought I had landed the job in May. It was mine in my head. I had it all planned out. No other interview had left that impression on me. It was a perfect fit. I got the call and it was indeed not mine...it belonged to someone else. I was sad, but through all the searching the past year I had come to realize God truly knows what is best and it was not this. So, I moved on, but I hit a dead end one day..and hit it hard. I texted Mama and gave up. She is always the one I give up to. No one else, but her. 4 days later I had the job that had belonged to someone else....God!



Mama's Sunday School ladies are prayer warriors. She told them I had lost hope and the thought of another interview was making me want to puke (sorry, but it literally was). They had prayed that someone I had interviewed with would call me and want me after all. Someone that wanted me in the community and liked me for me. I had no idea they had prayed this prayer until I called Mama and told her this company wanted me after all. She said "HOT DOG!" and then told me how and why this happened. I got goose bumps. Prayer is so powerful and God reminded my weary heart of that truth in a mighty way.

The people I am going to work for were also praying. Praying for a good person and someone who could help grow their business. God told them who. So, this job is God's and not mine. It is not mine to plan out in my head. It is His and I am SO thrilled about that. I can't wait to see what is in store for all of us as we set out on this new little journey. So, if I don't blog as much for a while...this is why. I am going to juggle a busy toddler, a husband starting harvest in 5 states and a new job! Pray for me..and if you have been praying for me this past year...thank you so kindly. There were many hours, days and weeks those prayers powered me through my journey.





Abby


Comments

Thanks so much for the information.....love your blog design....I am going to read some posts now....
Kelley said…
Congratulations on your job! I hope it is wonderful for you! I totally believe in the power of prayer!
Anonymous said…
So happy for you!! I loved seeing your precious, sweet face last night!! Will be praying for you :)
Delbra

Popular posts from this blog

A Blind Date & Leaving Comments

8 years ago today I met this sweet man in the picture above. We met on a blind date in the Bluff City (aka- Memfrica). He and I were simply going out to shut up his stepmother and my sister, who had decided that we were meant to be together from one simple fridge photo and a dog named Abby. Little did we know they would be able to pat themselves on the back for the rest of their lives . I am so glad we both agreed to go out for that one date on New Years Eve 2001 because I have had him in my life everyday since that crazy night at my cousin Hollye's back door when he arrived to pick me up to find a baby on my hip that he thought was mine. I remember those beautiful blue eyes and how they about popped out of his head as he stood at the door wondering why no one had mentioned my child. That baby on my hip was Claire. She was 1 then and had just gone number 2 in her diaper right before he rang the bell. She had Styrofoam all over her and me from playing in Christmas boxes. Needless t

All Aboard The Birthday Polar Express

  Can you believe Henry Patton will be 4 years old tomorrow?! Neither can we. We celebrated his birthday last weekend with his first all boy party, polar express style. I had so much fun preparing for it, as you can probably tell! My mother who is never at a loss for words said it looked like Polar Express threw up in my house. She was SO right and we loved it! We had a breakfast pajama party with 7 three and four year old boys. It was such a fun time.   I had his pajamas monogrammed with a train and his name. He loved them and I liked how they sort of looked like the ones on the movie. Henry loved all the bells I had everywhere. There is no doubt we believe at this house. We had the jingle loud and proud!   I had his invitation made from a shop on Etsy and I was very pleased with them. One of his little friends came to the door ready for me to punch his ticket. It was so cute. I ran to get a hole punch and punched it for him. Every good party has to have go

Pedicure Pledge

Just a friendly reminder, it's that time of the year again. Please raise your big toes and repeat after me: As a member of the Sandal Sisterhood, I pledge to follow The Rules when I wear sandals and other open-toe shoes: I promise to always wear sandals that fit. My toes will not hang over and touch the ground, nor will my heels spill over the backs. And the sides and tops of my feet will not pudge out between the straps. I will go polish-free or vow to keep the polish fresh, intact and chip-free. I will not cheat and just touch up my big toe. I will sand down any mounds of skin before they turn hard and yellow. I will shave the hairs off my big toe. I won't wear pantyhose even if my misinformed girlfriend, coworker, mother, sister tells me the toe seam really will stay under my toes if I tuck it there. If a strap breaks, I won't duct-tape, pin, glue or tuck it back in to place hoping it will stay put. I will get my shoe fixed or toss it. No matter how much it hurts. I will