Skip to main content

What I lack in athletic talent, I'm off the chart in good sense.

Oh, for the love of the game. Can we not just let kids play ball when they are little and not try to shape them into who we wanted to be and never were? I'm just sayin....I could easily fall into that trap with my child because I was never the best at anything physical, but thankfully I don't engage in such behavior because what I lack in athletic talent, I'm off the chart in good sense.
Being a parent is one of the hardest jobs on earth. I mean, if you want to do it it right and with all your might. Watching your kid struggle and succeed all in the same breath is an experience like none other and cannot be expressed with words really. Moms just know and have this look they give each other that basically says "yep, I see your baby. shine on, mama."
Henry and his best buddy (2017)
My son has the character that many grown men could only wish to have. He has done well accepting the fruit basket the Holy Spirit has given him (aka- fruits of the spirit) ...except for the that ole patience plum. We could use a little extra care with that one.  He cares more than his daddy and I can usually comprehend and it often leaves us defeated and deflated but it also leaves us proud and encouraged more times than not.  Henry is a thinker, a doer and a lover of all.  His compassion is convicting to my mama heart on a daily basis. Don't be thinking he is perfect. He gets spanked and sent to his room almost daily...so its a struggle and success all in one, all the time...all the time. But that's all of us, isn't it? That's why we have a savior, thank heavens!

practicing in the backyard (2017)
So, there is this thing called city league sports. Remember it? Well, it ain't yo daddy's league no mo! I loathe it will all my being but how do you tell your child "no" when he wants to play? The competition is fierce and its mostly fueled by the daddy on the baseline who probably never played. Well, we just aren't those people at our house. I grew up with a daddy who supported city league ball and invested all his summers in them. If you know my daddy, you probably picture him on the field. All got a chance and all were taught the same game. "Never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game" was the motto when we were kids. It was taught to us by our parents because that generation believed it and lived it.
Well, let me just tell ya, the rise in competition is fierce for our kids overall but sports takes the cake thanks to all these competition/travel teams. I have wonderful, dear friends who do this with their kids and it is a family affair that they enjoy. It works for them and we cheer them on. I also see friends who didn't do it and their kids aren't picked for upper grade teams at school because of it. Boys not on AAU basketball or travel baseball teams have quit playing school sports because they don't want to be rejected. It's a shame. The community and school sports teams as we knew them are gone by the waste side and it makes me mad and so sad. The kid who loves the game, the kid who just wants to play, the one who wants to be on a team and wear a uniform is forgotten.
Catcher (2017)
My child is that kid. But he is 8. He is amazing at tennis but he wants to keep playing baseball.  We paid $60 for city league baseball again this year knowing most boys his age that can "play" are already on travel teams. We begged him not to. We offered to give him the the $60 instead. But he insisted he play because he loves being on a team and wearing the uniform and the nights under the lights. He loves when his babysitter and her gang come see him play and cheer him on. He is 8. You can't say no even though we know its not the same 8 as it was when we were 8. Nonetheless, he is 8 and God wires all 8 years old's the same no mater the generation. He is God and he stays the same.
Headed to a game (2017)
So, to the dad beside me at practice, chewing on your tobacco like a cow chews its cud. You didn't know who I was or that I was listening to you tell the other parents my son was no good and laughed about him hoping to get a response out of them but instead got one from me. His mom. I hope you swallowed a little of that tobacco juice when I spoke up and told you what for in the most classy way I could through my sunglassed, tear filled eyes while never turning my head to acknowledge you. It's people like you who are raising bullies. Stop it. The parents spending more time on character than batting practice beg you to stop being a bully.  You, rude sir, are why our kids have more active shooter drills than tornado drills. You are one of many,  but we character building parents will snuff you sorry dogs out all day long. Go join a travel team and let the character building mamas spending their hard earned dollars and weekends shut your bullying up and let us have our league back. (In my best Julia Sugarbaker voice. boo-yah!)

batter up (2017)
"Let the field be joyful and all that is in it." Psalm 96:12

Abby Jo
AKA - #11's mom






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Blind Date & Leaving Comments

8 years ago today I met this sweet man in the picture above. We met on a blind date in the Bluff City (aka- Memfrica). He and I were simply going out to shut up his stepmother and my sister, who had decided that we were meant to be together from one simple fridge photo and a dog named Abby. Little did we know they would be able to pat themselves on the back for the rest of their lives . I am so glad we both agreed to go out for that one date on New Years Eve 2001 because I have had him in my life everyday since that crazy night at my cousin Hollye's back door when he arrived to pick me up to find a baby on my hip that he thought was mine. I remember those beautiful blue eyes and how they about popped out of his head as he stood at the door wondering why no one had mentioned my child. That baby on my hip was Claire. She was 1 then and had just gone number 2 in her diaper right before he rang the bell. She had Styrofoam all over her and me from playing in Christmas boxes. Needless t

All Aboard The Birthday Polar Express

  Can you believe Henry Patton will be 4 years old tomorrow?! Neither can we. We celebrated his birthday last weekend with his first all boy party, polar express style. I had so much fun preparing for it, as you can probably tell! My mother who is never at a loss for words said it looked like Polar Express threw up in my house. She was SO right and we loved it! We had a breakfast pajama party with 7 three and four year old boys. It was such a fun time.   I had his pajamas monogrammed with a train and his name. He loved them and I liked how they sort of looked like the ones on the movie. Henry loved all the bells I had everywhere. There is no doubt we believe at this house. We had the jingle loud and proud!   I had his invitation made from a shop on Etsy and I was very pleased with them. One of his little friends came to the door ready for me to punch his ticket. It was so cute. I ran to get a hole punch and punched it for him. Every good party has to have go

Pedicure Pledge

Just a friendly reminder, it's that time of the year again. Please raise your big toes and repeat after me: As a member of the Sandal Sisterhood, I pledge to follow The Rules when I wear sandals and other open-toe shoes: I promise to always wear sandals that fit. My toes will not hang over and touch the ground, nor will my heels spill over the backs. And the sides and tops of my feet will not pudge out between the straps. I will go polish-free or vow to keep the polish fresh, intact and chip-free. I will not cheat and just touch up my big toe. I will sand down any mounds of skin before they turn hard and yellow. I will shave the hairs off my big toe. I won't wear pantyhose even if my misinformed girlfriend, coworker, mother, sister tells me the toe seam really will stay under my toes if I tuck it there. If a strap breaks, I won't duct-tape, pin, glue or tuck it back in to place hoping it will stay put. I will get my shoe fixed or toss it. No matter how much it hurts. I will