Skip to main content

Detour Down Memory Lane



I was looking for photos for Henry's album the other night and came across a bag of some old family photos. My organization is in distress when it comes to my photos. It usually stresses me out, but on this night it was right on time! I loved the unexpected smiles and laughter it provoked. 


This is our daddy with his father on the left and our UD on the right. Grandpas with our daddy. This was taken at Julie's high school graduation party in 1988. Julie is Old!  Daddy's blue pants were kicking!! I love this photo. Jules and I have had great examples of love and Jesus in these three. 


This man was the salt of the earth. When I saw this photo it was angled in a way he was looking over me. It made me smile. He died a few days after my 5th birthday. I hate I didn't know him more. I know he was greatly loved and he loved fiercely in return. He was a deacon in his church and took care of everyone.  He was our pawpaw, our mamas's daddy. Joe was a hard  working WWII veteran, who was also a POW. He never talked about it. I love this generation because they overcame. Overcame the worst. We are raising a bunch of boys who can't overcome much of anything, much less the worst. That's a soapbox for another time ;) I loved "happening"upon this photo.


If you are in our family reading this, this one surely makes your heart smile! UD doing his thumb trick to little Abby Jo at Mawmaw and Pawpaw's house on Spradling. That's my beautiful mama on the organ bench. Love! And yes, we grew up with organs and pianos and we sisters can't even play chopsticks...a true Shame! I'm thinking of taking lessons. 



If I don't ever feel like I'm woman enough, these two can whip me into shape. This was also from 1988 They were whipping my 9 year old self into shape back then just as they are today. I cannot imagine not having my nuclear family in my daily life.  I'm so glad God saw fit to give me this captain and co captain for my cheer squad! (My Daddy is my linebacker ;) )


Be still my aunt heart! This was when this sweet child admitted he adored me. I think he still does but he is 16 and a boy...bless his heart!! Henry reminds me of him sometimes. Such sweetness. And look at those tight curls on aunt Abby's head. Pregnancy sure did relax my curl! 


And I may have wet my pants a bit discovering this memory book my mom put in a bag of stuff for me. If you know Melissa and me, you have to laugh because you can picture our simple youth. I had forgotten some of the memories on these pages. It made me cry from laughing so hard! What a blessed youth I had. My favorite take away from this book that night was the question "what will your teachers remember most about you" my answer: " they always say 'there's the girl who always has a smile'". I didn't realize the truth of that then, nor the gift of that smile. Funny I thought. 

So, how was that detour for you?! Fun, wasn't it?! ;)

Abby 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Blind Date & Leaving Comments

8 years ago today I met this sweet man in the picture above. We met on a blind date in the Bluff City (aka- Memfrica). He and I were simply going out to shut up his stepmother and my sister, who had decided that we were meant to be together from one simple fridge photo and a dog named Abby. Little did we know they would be able to pat themselves on the back for the rest of their lives . I am so glad we both agreed to go out for that one date on New Years Eve 2001 because I have had him in my life everyday since that crazy night at my cousin Hollye's back door when he arrived to pick me up to find a baby on my hip that he thought was mine. I remember those beautiful blue eyes and how they about popped out of his head as he stood at the door wondering why no one had mentioned my child. That baby on my hip was Claire. She was 1 then and had just gone number 2 in her diaper right before he rang the bell. She had Styrofoam all over her and me from playing in Christmas boxes. Needless t

All Aboard The Birthday Polar Express

  Can you believe Henry Patton will be 4 years old tomorrow?! Neither can we. We celebrated his birthday last weekend with his first all boy party, polar express style. I had so much fun preparing for it, as you can probably tell! My mother who is never at a loss for words said it looked like Polar Express threw up in my house. She was SO right and we loved it! We had a breakfast pajama party with 7 three and four year old boys. It was such a fun time.   I had his pajamas monogrammed with a train and his name. He loved them and I liked how they sort of looked like the ones on the movie. Henry loved all the bells I had everywhere. There is no doubt we believe at this house. We had the jingle loud and proud!   I had his invitation made from a shop on Etsy and I was very pleased with them. One of his little friends came to the door ready for me to punch his ticket. It was so cute. I ran to get a hole punch and punched it for him. Every good party has to have go

Scavenger Hunt Answers

I know this is more than just my blog. But today I am going to hijack it to play in a scavenger hunt with the preachers wife and her friends. I'm going to answer some questions and hope to win!!!!!!! The Treasures 1. My name is Julie. I also go by Jules, Julia, Ju , and I will soon be called JuJu by Henry, my nephew to be! 2. I live in Arkansas and always have but have only lived in Lincoln county for three years. 3. My wonderful hubby is the Pastor of our church. How about that for a lofty title! 4. I have already answered this question in #2, but we have been at this church for three years (well, three years and 15 days!) 5. Yes, I have children. The lights of my life, the laughter in my soul, the stealers of my sanity are Samuel who is 12, David who is 8, Daniel who is 8, and Anna Kathryn who is 5. 6. We have been married for 16 years, and have lived in seven different houses. Not bad for being in the ministry! But have served at 2 churches for 5 years each! 7. I cook Sunday